Frustrated with new supervisor... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Frustrated with new supervisor...

One of the greatest things about working from home, IMO, is there is no one here breathing down my neck.

My former supervisor, whom I got along with great and new from a previous job that we both worked at some years ago, was wonderful. We (the transcriptionist whom she was in charge of) were often praised for our work when things were really good yet talked to in an encouraging way when these were not so good and we had to step up to the plate and work harder or when she was encouraging us to put in overtime.

Well, two weeks ago we got an email that she had resigned her position and while they were looking for someone to take her place we would have an interim supervisor. This woman is NOTHING like the former. She talks down to us as a group all the time, practically scolding us when she thinks things aren't done like they should be.

Nothing in the way I have performed my job has changed since the new supervisor took over and yet I'm constantly bothered as to why am I doing things this way, her way would be better, etc.

The old supervisor NEVER talked to us like that. Furthermore, if there was a problem with a specific transcriptionist she would speak to that personal individually by email. Not this new one; she will actually point out individual faults in a group email to everyone who works under her. Talk about demeaning!

Dang, I miss my old supervisor! Just had to rant. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Frustrated with new supervisor...

She sounds like a perfectionist, which to me just means one thing -- arrogant. I've had a perfectionist boss too, and I just kept telling myself that it's harder to be her, with all those high standards she has to live up, than being me on the receiving end.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

At my old job, we had someone like this. Because we were afraid she was reading our emails (and we were right), we used fake names for everyone. We referred to her as "CF" - control freak. I added an extra letter in front of CF.

It really does a job on morale, too. I mean, we're all adults, right?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

Ahh that sucks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Premier Cat

People like that trigger my AUTOMATIC DISOBEDIENCE CIRCUITRY...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
One of the greatest things about working from home, IMO, is there is no one here breathing down my neck.

My former supervisor, whom I got along with great and new from a previous job that we both worked at some years ago, was wonderful. We (the transcriptionist whom she was in charge of) were often praised for our work when things were really good yet talked to in an encouraging way when these were not so good and we had to step up to the plate and work harder or when she was encouraging us to put in overtime.

Well, two weeks ago we got an email that she had resigned her position and while they were looking for someone to take her place we would have an interim supervisor. This woman is NOTHING like the former. She talks down to us as a group all the time, practically scolding us when she thinks things aren't done like they should be.

Nothing in the way I have performed my job has changed since the new supervisor took over and yet I'm constantly bothered as to why am I doing things this way, her way would be better, etc.

The old supervisor NEVER talked to us like that. Furthermore, if there was a problem with a specific transcriptionist she would speak to that personal individually by email. Not this new one; she will actually point out individual faults in a group email to everyone who works under her. Talk about demeaning!

Dang, I miss my old supervisor! Just had to rant. Thanks for listening.
She emails the whole group and points out individual faults?? Wow that's very unprofessional.
My previous position saw 4 supervisors in 7 months, it was very stressful, every single one came in and wanted to change everything, always have something to say about the current process, I ended up doing their job while they got the credit for it, that's why I left.
I am sorry you are going thru this, is there someone you can talk to about this?

Maria
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

I just love all these gung-ho authority figures what love to change things without even consulting the group. I have had several production managers and even plant managers where I work and for some reason, I have outlasted them all. One I even boasted to Jo that I would be there long after he was gone. I was right. When they fired him on 8-9-2006, I sent him a nice little email reminding him of that fact...

With those types of bosses, you can basically just do the bare minimum required of your position and no more. You are doing what the company expects you to do so it is not like your ethics are being compromised nor are you being insubordinate. It is just that you are not going to go above and beyond the call of duty for somebody that obviously will not reciprocate.

As far as the emails, have you forwarded them to upper management? I am sure if others did it en masse, then it may get some results. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Or you could even do what I do much to the chagrin of some of my former managers. You can record their statements for playback to upper management in case she denies it. I tell ya, when you get people like her that think they have a Ľoz of authority, it is laughable to see people like her go around acting like the CEO. But like the old saying goes Jo, give them enough rope and they will hang themselves with it.

In the meantime, you can probably take care of her propensity to constantly manage via emails by sneaking into her office (or cubicle) and replacing her current keyboard with a DVORAK keyboard. That is sure to stymie her for a while and until she learns the DVORAK layout (if she even has the brains to do so), she will find sending out those emails too time consuming!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Premier Cat

I had to google/wiki "dvorak keyboard"...
Ack!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Banned

I have a MUCH better idea. Borrow her keyboard for "cleaning", and move all the letters around randomly. So when she types normally it comes out as gibberish.

Or just put grass seed in it and water it (do it on a Friday, and come monday morning, she'll have a lovely lawn).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

You guys are funny. Problem is, I work from home for a national company and I have no idea where this lady lives except that I know it's in the southeast US somewhere.

It was just nice to talk about it here, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page