Thinking of building a raised garden... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thinking of building a raised garden...

I would love to have a small garden spot to raise some of the things that the family loves - cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, peas, carrots, and a few other things.

Trouble is I would have a heck of a time tending a garden in the ground so I started thinking about raised gardens. Has anyone here ever had one? If so, could you post a picture of it? I'd like to get some ideas on design and hopefully get something built by the end of May, when planting season typically happens here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: Thinking of building a raised garden...

Hi Jo,

Although I've never used them, I've heard good things about using raised vegetable beds. Here's a link I found to Gardner's Supply catalog (I love this catalog - even though some things are expensive, you can get good ideas and make your own version.)

http://www.gardeners.com/Raised-Beds/Ve ... lt,sc.html

I'm getting so excited to start playing in the dirt again. C'mon month of May! Hurry up!

Good luck,
Marsha
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Premier Cat

You could container gardeing, which would be much easier than building a whole garden. I googles it and found an interesting link http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/t.../container.asp.

I had a small garden last year but it didn't grow well since I never weeded it. I am going to try some containers this year and se if I can keep up with this one .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Cat Addict

yep, containers are the way to go. I grow everything in whiskey barrels.

you can control everthing rather easily.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Premier Cat

My flatmate and I have been thinking of doing something very similar. We have been looking at 'patio veg kits' ... such as this one...

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Complete+ ... 260038.htm

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Premier Cat

When I was a kid growing up out in the country my Mother always kept a garden. Our soil was very hard/dry and difficult to plant in. Mom struggled with it that first year but the next year she had a different plan of attack!

She had my Dad build her some raised beds with RailRoad ties and filled them with bags of soil from the nursery mixed with some of our 'local dirt'. The nursery soil ammended and strengthened the nutrient level of the beds while keeping the soil soft and workable, yet allowing it to be able to firm up and hold the rooted plants, especially the tall corn. Some beds were only one tie high and others were two ties high. She had him make them just wide enough so she could sit/kneel on the edges of the raised beds and be able to easily reach the center so she could plant, weed and thin. Some of the beds had a moveable frame covered with clear plastic that she could put over the top of the raised beds, resting on the RR ties, to create a little bit of a greenhouse. When the seedlings were established, we could remove and store the covers for the next season.

I have memories of food fresh from our garden to compliment the fresh fish our Dad would catch after work or on the days he did not need to be in the office. I loved those days...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Premier Cat

i remember my parents having a veg patch at the bottom of the garden when I was a wee nipper. I used to love going up there and helping myself to the strawberries in the summer (after asking permission of course).

One thing I always thought was pretty neat was being able to grow potatoes in a little sack. I love potatoes just out of the ground. They taste so much nicer than supermarket stuff

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page