Unprecedented flooding in Bismarck - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Unprecedented flooding in Bismarck

Apparently there is an ice jam south of Bismarck that is at least a mile long. The water along the Missouri River has been rising for a while and nothing could be done about the ice jam yesterday due to the statewide blizzard we had.

The Governor of North Dakota was on the news last night talking about efforts to break this major ice jam which, once broken will relieve the backing-up problem that is causing most of the flooding in Bismarck. It looks like what they're going to do is set explosives in the river to break it up.

Well, a smaller ice jam ahead of the large one broke this morning and a good section of southern Bismarck had to evacuate. This includes one of my aunts and her daughter's family. They live just a couple houses from each other. They had been told to start preparing their basements a couple of days ago so they had all that cleaned out. However, I don't know about their main floors. My aunt is a bigtime collector and refurbisher of antiques. She has them scattered all over her house.

The Red River on the east side of the state is expected to crest on Friday. Sandbagging efforts are going on there too.

The river that runs through the town I'm in is not expected to hit flood stages - THANK GOD!, although there will undoubtedly be spotted damage throughout the city.

Anyway, if you could keep my family in your thoughts and prayers I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

Re: Unprecedented flooding in Bismarck

Jo, while I have seen very little media photos of the flooding, how was it compared to the 1997 Red River Flood? I used to subscribe to Macleans and I remember their coverage of the 1997 flood, both in the USA and into Winnipeg.

Anyway, I hope you and your entire family (both 2 and 4 legged members) are safe and sound at this time. It only underscores how thankful I am to know that I will most likely never have to deal with that here where I live.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks, Don. We're fine here for now (knock on wood!) We aren't at all affected by the flooding in Bismarck as we're an hour and a half north of that. The river that we have to worry about flooding is the Mouse River (or Souris River - it has multiple names). It comes down through Canada, runs through Minot and a bunch of surrounding communities and heads back north into Canada.

I read today that the Missouri River water near Bismarck receded 2 feet today so that's good news. However, I do not know the extent of the damage that was done before they blew up the ice james yesterday.

In the eastern part of the state with Fargo in the south and Grand Forks in the north, they're expecting to crest Friday or Saturday, I believe, at something like 52 feet; well above the flood stages in the '97 flood. However, an elaborate dike system was built in Grand Forks after '97 to hopefully stave anything else off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

Prayers for your family, and all of those dealing with this flooding. I've been watching the stories on the news, and it's terrible what is happening to those involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page