Best thing for sinus problems? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Best thing for sinus problems?

Ugh! Woke up this morning, and my head and sinuses are so plugged that I'm actually dizzy. I took a nice warm shower, thinking that would help, but it didn't. I know it's just the time of year, we've gone from weather in the 60's, to now down to freezing at night again.

What's the best thing to take for sinus problems? Any suggestions of something I can just pick up at the store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Best thing for sinus problems?

This past winter I found that Aleve cold and sinus (24 hour) worked wonders for me. In the past I have also used Advil cold and sinus with great results. Make sure you get the good strong formula with pseudophedrine, since that's the stuff that actually makes you feel better. A lot of drug companies are making versions of their cold medicine without the pseudophedrine, since a number of states have passed laws requiring you to get these products at the pharmacy counter since they can be used to make meth. It's still an over-the-counter product, technically, but it's more of a hassle to get it. It's totally worth it though!

Hope you feel better soon! I know how awful those sinus infections are!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Banned

Geri, another useful thing (for me at least) is anything containing diphenhydramine. That also is an antihistamine but it is what makes you sleepy. It is the main ingredient in Benadryl as well as PM type pain relievers such as Excedrin PM, Tylenol PM, and Advil PM. If you DO NOT need to be operating a car, riding, etc (in other words, you can stay at home and sleep if need be) then those types of pain relievers will work wonders for sinus headaches and the like. At least they did for me. Also, if memory serves me right, diphenhydramine was an ingredient in the older "drowsy style" sinus medicines from years past. Some sleep aids also use diphenhydramine as its sedative agent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Cool Cat

Oddly enough, those sleepy nighttime medicines have been known to backfire in some people, myself included. If I take any of those at night in the hopes of sleeping soundly, I find myself awake with a pounding heart until about four in the morning. Unfortunately there's really no way to know if you'll be affected this way until you try it..... I think it's a small portion of people who have this unfortunate side effect, so if you don't have to be up early on Sunday morning maybe tonight would be a good time to try it.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Mucinex (humibid) is now available over the counter. It is the medication the doctors always prescribed for me, and now that you can buy it without a prescription, they suggest that I buy it. It loosens your clogged sinuses (or throat--for bronchitis, pneumonia.)

For my everday sinus headache I use Alka Seltzer Plus, original flavor. It's less expensive.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Cool Cat

I've had allergies for my entire life - trees, grasses, weeds, pollen, mold and fungi. No pet allergies, thank heavens. Some foods share the same base as pollens, so I even have to be careful what I eat (too often or too much can cause an allergic reaction for me).

I use:
Sudafed (not the PE stuff)
Mucinex (I preferred the prescription that was a 12 hr pill)
Afrin nasal spray - Original, use for 72 hours max, then stop for 5 days or you can get a rebound headache
Saline nasal spray, as often as you want
Ibuprofen or Naprosin, which ever works best for you
I have a prescription nasal spray, but it isn't working well for me right now - and I've tried them all
Netti pot - like a shower for your nose
Steroids prescribed by the doctor - prednisone works for me, not medrol
I also like to lay face down on a heating pad as the heat feels great.

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) drys you up. The issue with this is that is increases the odds that you will get a sinus infection. You really want everything to drain out. I grew up taking this for my asthma, which is now known to be the worst thing you can do for an asthmatic.

If your face hurts when you bend over at the waist (so your face is parallel to the ground), you probably have a sinus infection and need to see a doctor.

Fun fact of the day: did you know the opening from your sinuses to your nose is smaller than the diameter of a strand of hair?

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Premier Cat

Don't forget the Vick's Vapor Rub. I love that stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Alka-Seltzer cold medicine does the trick for me every time. Clears me right up. And it comes in Orange flavor.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Banned

Take a tube of pure ammonia, and take a big sniff.

*this is not a serious suggestion. A friend of mine did this in a Chemistry practical when I was at college, and he passed out.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Cool Cat

Fro itchy eyes, try Pataday. It is the over-the-counter version of Patonal. Works well.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page