2. 3 13.04%
1. 18 78.26%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Cell Phone Use While Driving

Philadelphia has passed a law prohibiting the use of a cell phone while driviing. (Hands free cell phones are permitted.) This law might become state wide. How do you feel about that sort of law for your state?

The vote in Philly was about 83% for, 17% against. (including cell phone users)

Quote:
City Council committee OKs cell-phone limits for drivers, despite precedents
By CHRIS BRENNAN
Philadelphia Daily News

[email protected] 215-854-5973

A City Council committee yesterday approved a ban on cell-phone use by drivers here, despite PennDOT's position that the legislation conflicts with the state motor-vehicle code.

The Committee on Streets and Services backed the ban, which would require drivers to use a "hands-free" device and would prohibit the sending of e-mails or text messages while driving. The ban applies to people using scooters, bikes, roller skates and skateboards.......

1. I'm for it. It should be a federal law.

2. It's up to the individual states.

3. I'd vote against it.

Please choose one of these options, and comment, if you wish.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Cell Phone Use While Driving

It's against the law in California. I see fewer, but still a LOT of people using their cell phones. You can use hands-free (speaker phone) or blue tooth, but I think it should all be banned. So should children in cars. Having brats in cars is distracting and so is yelling at kids. And eating in cars. Just as dangerous. And music. And other drivers.

In fact, I should be the only driver on the road. That would be the safest condition of all.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

It's still legal there?

Anyone who uses a phone for calls and especially texts during driving is a complete idiot and has no respect for any other road users. It's been proven time and time again that it's as bad as drinking and driving.

There's also plenty of evidence to suggest that using a hands free device is just as bad. You're still concentrating on something other than driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Premier Cat

Having almost got creamed today on the hwy by a cell-phone-talking-obliviot (oblivious idiot) I voted it should be a federal law and applied to all drivers in all states. My friend in CA has a hands-free set, and has had it for several years before it became mandatory, and she says she notices the difference in the drivers along her commute. She said it is almost always the cell phone users/texters who are causing the traffic problems; slowing, weaving and not signaling or looking in the direction they are traveling in.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Obliviot? Nice one!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Cat Addict

I voted that I think it should be a federal law. I carry my cell phone with me but NEVER use it while driving. If I have to use it somewhere between point A and point B I will pull off the road into a parking lot or something, make the call, and drive again after I hang up.

I saw the neatest bumper sticker once - it said "You're driving a car, not a phone booth!"

I liked Marie's comment about no kids being in the car. Unfortunately, that ain't gonna work unless they drop the legal driving age to 2 or something. That's a REALLY dangerous driving situation I wouldn't want to be involved in!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Oh I don't know... I used to belong to an online virtual racing league, and some of the kids on there were GOOD!

Actually some (including myself) were really dreadful.. so maybe that's not such a great idea
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Premier Cat

It should be a federal law. I saw a woman the other day with a cell phone in one hand, and she was holding an apple with that same hand. Oh, and she was making a turn when I saw her .

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
"You're driving a car, not a phone booth!"
LOL! Good one!

I do think it should become law, it's just to dangerous.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Cool Cat

It should be against the law nationwide to drive while talking on a cell phone -- including hands-free phones -- just like it's against the law to drive under the influence. (The level of impairment is similar.)

The problem is that law like this create the impression that driving with a hands-free set is safe, when actually it's just as dangerous as driving with standard phone. It's not holding the phone that creates the problems, it's the distraction of talking on the phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page