Those of you who said it were right - I'm hooked! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Those of you who said it were right - I'm hooked!

On this new reading hobby I've taken on. Night before last I finished the "Little House" series and not even 5 minutes later I picked up the first book in a Beverly Lewis series. In case you don't know her, Beverly Lewis writes stories based on Amish life.

I'm almost halfway through the first book as of last night, approximately 4 hours of reading altogether! I have a hard time putting it down. I haven't watched television in over a month, except for the local news and the state boys' basketball tourney that was on a couple weeks ago!

I'm finding a real intrigue with Amish life. I got the chance to shop at a couple of Amish shops in Amish Ohio a few years back and I would LOVE to see some of the things talked about in the book I'm reading now which takes place in Lancaster County, PA. I know Jeanie lives in western PA. Have you been there, Jeanie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Those of you who said it were right - I'm hooked!

Lancaster is on the other side of PA, and I've never been there. However, there is a community of Old Amish in Western PA, and I'd love to go there! They make beautiful furniture and lead such traditional lives, it would be interesting to visit.

I'm so glad you're enjoying reading. You have some years to make up for! Another new joy in life, isn't it? Don't forget the James Herriot books. They're just wonderful!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Since you brought up James Herriot, I was wondering - are those books fiction or are they true accounts of previous experiences he has had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Premier Cat

It is a bit of both. James Herriot (a pen name) was a country vet in England's Yorkshire Dales and he does write about his experiences as a vet during that particular time period and that area of the country. His character's names are mostly based off of real people, but of course, the names are changed to protect identity/privacy.
h

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Premier Cat

There is a series by Tamar Myers set in Amish country. The main character is actually Mennonite, but she has many of the Amish traditions throughout her books. They are labeled as mysteries, but the mystery really is in the background of the book, IMO.

I just found this author and I am really enjoying her simple stories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Senior Cat

Just wanted to say Lancaster is beautiful. I drove down there to get a cat (pregnant calico we called Penny in honor of her home state ). Wasn't there for long but it is such a nice place I'd love to go there again and actually spend some time wondering around.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Premier Cat

Being right in the heart of Amish community here, I would find the books on Amish life fascinating. Dave and I visit our Amish neighbor weekly, to get eggs, and they also come to Dave when they need welding done on some of their farm equipment. We often talked about what their life must be like, and what they do and don't believe. We offered our neighbor a free large window, just to get it out of our house, and he said he couldn't take it, they are only allowed to have certain kinds. We also found out that they don't change their time like we do........spring ahead, fall back. It is fascinating, and yet there is so much we don't understand. Like, why some are able to own a cell phone, and why they can drive or use our electrical equipment, but can't own their own. What else is interesting, is that each community sets their own guidelines. The community we live in here, has completely different beliefs than my farriers community, who is only 10 miles away from us. They also teach their children to speak German first, at least around here. So interesting.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat
It is fascinating, and yet there is so much we don't understand.
I have learned so much about Amish in the last few days. I read a ton of stuff online about the different "offshoots" of Amish (some have broken away from the Old Order and created less conservative groups), about how they speak High German dialect within their community, at worship and home but also learn English while going to school, and all about their courting (dating) practices, etc. I also find it fascinating!

When we were in Ohio a few years ago and hubby's relatives drove us through Amish Country I remember his aunt saying not to take pictures of them and thinking she must be nuts! Well, now I know why. The Amish consider photography of themselves a form of vanity and they don't even take pictures nor have any of their family on display in their homes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat
It is fascinating, and yet there is so much we don't understand.
I have learned so much about Amish in the last few days. I read a ton of stuff online about the different "offshoots" of Amish (some have broken away from the Old Order and created less conservative groups), about how they speak High German dialect within their community, at worship and home but also learn English while going to school, and all about their courting (dating) practices, etc. I also find it fascinating!

When we were in Ohio a few years ago and hubby's relatives drove us through Amish Country I remember his aunt saying not to take pictures of them and thinking she must be nuts! Well, now I know why. The Amish consider photography of themselves a form of vanity and they don't even take pictures nor have any of their family on display in their homes.
And you're in trouble with me, young lady. I made a new thread about it. *giggle*

----------
Renée
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 PM
hpi

Ive been hooked for as long as I can remember.

I wouldn't read what you;re reading of course but I'm hooked on reading military history and books about Nuclear war strategy. I'm currently reading ' The changing face of Nuclear warfare' and a Tom Clancy book. I have no self control when I read, Ive pulled so many involuntary all nighters cause I couldn't take my eyes off the book
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page