How do Brits feel about Obamas' visit? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

How do Brits feel about Obamas' visit?

On the news last night they showed the Obamas visiting the Queen, and I thought it was interesting that they didn't bow or curtsey. To tell you the truth, I was glad to see that. Americans love the British and we of course want to respect her, but she's not our Queen to curtsey to. There was apparently also a controversy about the fact that Michelle Obama touched the Queen on the back when no one is supposed to touch the Queen ever, unless it's a limp handshake.

How do the British members feel about that?

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Cat Addict

Re: How do Brits feel about Obamas' visit?

Well I don't really think it was interesting that they didn't bow or curtsey as non-Britains are not expected to
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Is that true? I thought I remembered a bunch of Americans curtsying, like when they're in a receiving line or something.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Cat Addict

Yeah, it's supposed to be a sign of respect for your country, which only applies to us Brits of course, they certainly didn't break any 'protocol' by not doing it

I love the Obamas..I think Michelle seems really warm and natural and he is just charming.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Cat

Yeh it made me grin when saw them on the telly last night - sign of new beginnings etc.

Wouldn't say I'm the most pro-royal person there is (although I'm not really anti-royal either!) so I wouldn't be offended with someone not curtesying to the Queen. So long as people are courteous and friendly I think that they should get the respect they deserve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edinburgh: Honey
Cambridge: Mocha & Bonnie (cats), Glinka & Sylvie (dogs)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Cat

The curtseying/no manhandling thing seems to be drifting out of fashion, I doubt the Queen really cares too much. Here Obama's gift of some DVDs to Brown when he had been given some rather special gifts was seen as a gaffe, which I would tend to agree with.

Similarly giving the Queen an iPod seems a bit strange, though she is fairly tech-savvy, using digital cameras (Leica M8 I believe...) and a PC. Prince Philip also uses the Net - and drives a black cab incognito in London to avoid the congestion charge.

There is a rumour that Obama is not keen on the UK owing to its colonial past with reference to Kenya, and apparently he couldn't get the loaned bust of Churchill out of the Oval Office quickly enough, but who knows.

I do like him and have read his books, but he seems reluctant or more likely unable to change the status quo/establishment in certain areas - e.g. the absurd UK-US extradition scenario where a UK citizen can be extradited over there with barely any evidence (e.g. the guy here with Asperger's Syndrome being sought for allegedly hacking into the Pentagon), while for the reverse to happen would need **** to freeze over. I blame our guys for allowing that more than the US.

But then again the US wants everyone to sign up to the International War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague - but refuses to sign up to it itself, which is very hypocritical.

Alex
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Cat Addict

I am not really into the whole politics thing, I should be I guess but politics just don't interest me. What's more important to me are the people and I sooo prefer this u.s. president to the last one...there was just something about Bush that made me not trust him...same for Blair...and I don't like Brown either, but I'm not sure if the alternative would be much better
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Premier Cat

Hmmm ... I just found myself annoyed at the fact that out of the 19 international leaders that have come to London to attend the G20 summit, only Obamas arrival was seen by the BBC as headline news.

America might be the most powerful country in the world, but its not the only one (and before I get accused of being anti-American, I'm actually just being annoyed at the BBC for forever falling over itself to grovel at the feet of Obama).

As for curtseying to the Queen .. as a anti-royalist, I certainly wouldnt want to do that either. Of course I'd treat her with respect as I would anyone else but she is not, in my view, my 'superior' to bow down too. I do respect her greatly though. She has done a lot for my country ... I just dont think she should have such a priveliged position due to an accident of birth (sigh, whats happening to my spelling today),

I have to say though, I smiled at the thought of a 80-something year old lady being given a ipod

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Cat Addict

She was also apparently given a songbook, autographed by Richard Rodgers. A very American - and very charming! - sort of gift. Nice work, Obama! (Or, more likely, nice work, his staff!)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I am an Obama fan. However, it would have been courteous if both he and Mrs. Obama had shown Queen Elizabeth that respect. We have few traditions left. Let's observe them.

With all due respect, Allie, I don't think it is unusual at all for our best friends to consider our President's visit news. We certainly consider it news when a member of the royal family visits here. When you consider history, which of the WWl and WWll allies are still as faithful to one another as they were then?

I guess this is our day to disagree, Allie. People don't lose their love of music as they get older. As a musician, I have seen how deeply touched people of all ages are touched by music, often brought to tears.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page