Cats and Infants - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cats and Infants

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can share some stories of cats and infants. My wife and I have owned two tabbys (brothers) for 5 years. We recently had a child (in the last 48 hours).

We've been worried about the cats and the child. Just before the child arrived, both cats would jump into the crib and bassinet. They both still have a lot of kitten in them and often tear around the house, jump over/into my wife and I to get to the bowl at feeding time, and push/knock things over.

We love both the cats but worry about our son, to the degree that we lock them out of our room with the bassinet at night. This is our first night home and we've been isolated in the bedroom so that we could work with our son (feeding, changing, napping, etc). Feeling more and more like we're hiding from the cats. Any help or advice would be appreciated here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Cats and Infants

Babies are delicate and since you say your two Brother-Cats are very playful and do knock into you and your wife as they race around, I think it is a very good idea to protect the baby from their exhuberant play. They wouldn't mean to hurt the baby, but cats don't understand that babies are delicate, nor do they understand parent's being protective.

Just be sure to spend time with the cats, giving them love and personal attention so they know they are loved, too. This is going to be a very busy time for you and your wife and you just won't have the extra time to devote to your pets for a while, until the household adjusts, so just be sure the time you do spend with them you are able to give them some quality undivided attention.
Heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Jr. Cat

When my sister and hubby had their baby, they also had two very curious kitties. They removed the solid door from the baby's room and installed (temporarily of course) a screen door! It worked beautifully by keeping the cats OUT of the room but they didn't feel so confined with with the baby in his room.

Good luck!

and

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Marsha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Cat Addict

When my twins were born our cats were 3 years, 3 years and 1 year old. They were wonderful with them when they were babies and wouldn't bother them. However, we kept the kids' bedroom door barricaded (stacked 2 child safety gates one on top of the other) so the cats wouldn't go in. It worked out well.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

You could put up a screen door on the baby's room so that there is a barrier, but it is easy to get in and out.

I think after a couple of days you all (cats included) will feel more comfortable and come up with a routine where it is safe for all of you to be together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you all for your helpful advice. The first night (when I wrote this) was very hectic. My wife and I had been barricaded inside our bedroom for a few hours. That plus the sleep deprivation and hunger were forcing us to make some tough calls. We've been working with the cats the last few days and both are warming up to him. We still worry when the inquisitive cat (Bert) gets a little to close, but we push him away and he goes and lays down where he can watch the baby.

The advice on the screen door and safety gates was especially helpful....that was the solution I was looking to implement. My in-laws are coming on easter weekend to stay for a week so I know my father-in-law and I can knock this out quickly. Thanks again to all!!!!

by ForJazz
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
hpi

Take some Adderall and you'll have all the energy in the world, you don't need sleep with it

Do you're cats have claws? I don't think they'd try to hurt the baby but they can get pretty crazy at times.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpi
Take some Adderall and you'll have all the energy in the world, you don't need sleep with it
Adderall is a prescription amphetamine -- no one should be popping these pills without a documented medical condition.

It sounds like the cats are getting used to having the baby around which is great.

And, of course, congratulations on your new baby Hope you are all managing to get a little rest. The early months are exhausting but also a very special time

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page