Learn something new every day... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Learn something new every day...

Had breakfast with some friends,one of whom grew up on a farm,found out... Chickens lay eggs-even when they're not breeding!? The eggs that get Grand Slammed are UNFERTILIZED,whereas the rooster fertilizes the eggs of the female,that will HATCH! Makes sense...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Learn something new every day...

They keep the rooster away, to make sure no fertilized eggs get sold to the general public.

If there's any doubt, the farmers candle the egg to make sure there are no spots. You can shine a light through the egg, and if there's a spot, you can see it. My bil didn't have a rooster, and he still candled them.( ) When I was a little girl I used to watch him. (He was about my mother's age.)

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Premier Cat

Very true. Even today, my husband refuses to use "brown eggs" and will only use white eggs.
His idiosyncracy is deep-seated from when he lived on a 'farm' (rural house with some chickens in a pen) with a small group of other working young men, who were not very diligent about collecting the eggs every day, and he had a VERY BAD hangover morning at breakfast when he cracked an egg into the pan and it had quite a bit *more* to it than he was expecting...
Yes, I can see how that would put him "off" farm-brown eggs.

On our farm the hens usually had a rooster, for barnyard protection, though we never let the hens raise any chickies because we collected eggs every day. Once refridgerated, no more embryo developing would occur. The only indication you would get would be perhaps a small blood spot on the yolk. If eggs were not collected every day (for whatever reason) all eggs would then be collected and broken into the hogs' feeders and we would begin again with collecting every day.
During laying production, the hens were contained in a pen/coop. During moult, they were allowed to free-roam the property.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I've had brown eggs-loved 'em. There's just something about fresh country eggs!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Premier Cat

I know it! I prefer brown eggs. Because my husband has a 'fit' over the brown eggs, I keep an 18 pack of browns and a dozen whites in the fridge. If hubby wants an egg and he's standing right there or if I make hard boileds, I use the white eggs. For everything else, I'll use the browns.

We had Rhodies (Rhode Island Reds) and a few Barred Rocks (Plymouth Rocks) they both laid brown eggs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island_Red
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Rock_(chicken)

Here is the Warner Bros. "Foghorn Leghorn" chicken, called Leghorns. It seems these are the major producers for our chicken meats and eggs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leghorn_chicken

Here are Orpington chickens:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpington_(chicken)
My school-friend's family raised Bantys and I always thought it was funny they had to double the eggs in any recipe when using Banty eggs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantam_(chicken)

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Cool Cat

Is there actually a difference between white and brown eggs? I don't have any place to get them farm-fresh, so I always buy them at the grocery store, and I've always wondered if there's a difference. I had a friend in college who refused to eat brown eggs, with no good reason, and ever since then I think I find myself drawn to the brown eggs because of her.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKitties
Is there actually a difference between white and brown eggs?
There is one major, MAJOR difference between brown eggs and white eggs.
Brown eggs are brown and white eggs are white.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... brown-eggs
The above article makes mention about the differences in size and nutritional requirement amounts of feed to produce, and the brown-egg layers require more feed than the smaller white-egg layers. This makes the difference between price. Another argument was cooks purchasing brown farm eggs because they tasted better (hen being able to supplement her diet with grasses, weeds and bugs) but when producers saw they could raise brown-egg laying hens and charge more because of "taste", they shot themselves in the foot because they then fed the brown-egg layers the same feed they fed the white-egg layers...so all commercially raised eggs taste the same.

Harumph. This just makes me want to build a coop and keep a few Rhodies and Barreds so I can raise my OWN brown eggs.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

Until Delia Smith* started banging on about them, I had no idea white eggs even existed.

*Mumsy celebrity chef.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I know it! I prefer brown eggs. Because my husband has a 'fit' over the brown eggs, I keep an 18 pack of browns and a dozen whites in the fridge. If hubby wants an egg and he's standing right there or if I make hard boileds, I use the white eggs. For everything else, I'll use the browns.
A friend of mine raises chickens and sells the eggs and says the same thing about brown vs. white. If I remember correctly, I think she told me that a brown egg won't hard boil. Is that true or am I confusing this little fact with something else?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Premier Cat

Dave and I started getting eggs from our Amish neighbor, and they are all brown. I'm telling you..........our sunday morning omelets are now fabulous! There is just no comparison (for us) between the store boughten eggs, and farm fresh. We bring our own egg carton down there, and sometimes, the eggs are so big the lid won't close! Lots of double yokes! The funny thing is, cage free organics in the store are like $5 a dozen........our neighbor charges $1.25! We pay him $2, because sometimes he delivers to our door!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page