Advice on presenting a special gift - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Advice on presenting a special gift

My sister and her husband feel like their townhouse is too small for them, with two kids, lots of stuff, only three bedrooms, and a pretty small basement. When the twins were born a year and a half ago, they thought they would be moving in a few years, but they've got a double whammy - on top of the lousy housing market, my sister hasn't been able to go back to work because of my niece's congenital heart defect, so they need money from his parents every month to get all the bills paid.

My husband and I do some home remodeling work, and we realized that it would be a pretty easy project for us to finish off half of their open basement space and create a new office space so the kids can each have their own bedroom and there should be enough space for everyone that they can stay in this house another ten years. We can do the framing, drywall, painting and trim, my hubby's dad can do the electrical, we'll have carpet installed, and just like that they've got a finished office space! And since we have a big basement and not a lot of stuff, we figured we can take a lot of their boxes and hang on to them until they get a bigger house, even if that's ten years. My parents and my older brother are going to pay for the materials, since hubby and I have been unemployed since December, and we will provide the labor for the project.

I can't imagine any reason they would say no, but I'm still very anxious about presenting this the best way possible. I think we're going to be bringing this up on Sunday at Easter brunch, since most of the family will be together. Did I mention my sister and her husband will be married ten years next month?

So any suggestions on when/how to bring this up, and how to word it?

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Advice on presenting a special gift

Awe, what a very kind thing to do!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Premier Cat

Maybe you can toast the little one coming through surgery (I am soo sorry, but I forgot her name. ), and then say something like "And as a celebration of her new lease on life the family would like to do the following for you, and then lay out the plan". This way it is not tied to money, but more to the kids.

You are all doing a wonderful thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

You could find a cute picture of a boy's room and a girl's room, wrap them up in gift wrap and present them. Then tell them you'd like to do that for your niece and nephew.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I like Marie's idea! And you have a loving heart! How kind of you.

PS. Would you like to have another sister?

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Aww, Jeanie, that's sweet!

Marie, that's a great idea! And very appropriate - it was Easter two years ago that my sister and her husband told their families they were pregnant by giving the Grandmas framed ultrasound pictures!

Leazie, don't worry about forgetting Evie's name, it HAS been quite a while since I updated that thread about her surgery... She's doing a little better every day, and finally getting back on her feet and doing some walking!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Premier Cat

Marie's idea rocks!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page