"sodomy ruins nations" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to corinthia
"sodomy ruins nations"

Today, on my college campus, a friend and I were walking to the science building and the 'crazy people' were out. These older people yell at college students that being gay is wrong and having abortions is horrible. They hold up signs that say things like "sodomy ruins nations" and "I am a child (with pics of fetuses on them)". (Don't get me wrong, I'm not for abortions myself at all)

When we passed by, the older lady asked my friend and I if we wanted a few papers on how having abortions is wrong and my friend says, "I'll take it if your not against gays."
Of course the lady said that she was against gay people and that she had information on that too. My buddy politely gives the papers back and tells her that he is gay, and the lady has the nerve to tell him that he is GOING TO ****! My friend says "Alright, I guess I'm going to ****." and then the lady said, "I would never say that!"

WHAT THE HECK!!! YOU JUST SAID IT LADY!!!
I was fine with them up until that point. Don't tell someone they are going to **** because they were born they way they were. That's messed up. From what I understand, being gay doesn't directly send you to ****. (I'm not sure if the bible said this or not, but its just what I believe)

Sorry for the rant, but this truly upset me.
Oh yeah... If the title is too racy please let me know! I'll try to change it to something better... :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zoey + Chloe + Maxwell + Apple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

Re: "sodomy ruins nations"

If being gay sends one to ****, then so does being black, white, male, female, able-bodied, disabled, or naturally blonde.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Premier Cat

People like that drive me crazy. Of course they are able to have their own views, but to force them on others like that is just wrong, IMO. And to tell someone to their face that they are going to **** is beyond rude (it was the only word that I could come up with that would pass here).

I believe that people should be looked at individually for what they contribute to the world. If you are a good person and are kind to others that is what should be what matters. Not who you date, or what you have done.

I used to work at a church and trust me many of the people had way WORSE things in their lives, yet they were the first to judge others. Drove me nuts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

Exactly the same here Leazie.

"Let he who has no sin cast the first stone" or similar.

The freedom of speech excuse bugs me as well. There are certain things people aren't allowed to say for a reason.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned

You know your last sentence is like waving a red flag to a bull for me Hugh. You cant go around banning free speech because you dont like what certain people are saying. Of course there are some restrictions but declaring that you anti-gay or anti-abortionist should most definately not be among them. You dont have free speech and you dont have a democracy.

Having said that, people like these do make me feel sick. I disagree with abortions but its just my opinion and I certainly wouldnt abandon a friend who was in the position where she felt she needed to have one (to the contrary, I hope I'd be very supportive). Its one thing to have a opinion, quite another to be rude or aggressive to people who hold a different one! Behavour like that just negates the persons entire arguement in my view.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

There's only a problem with freedom of speech if there's some kind of choice involved Allie.... I really hope you wouldn't think that someone should be allowed to say black people are stupid or that women shouldn't be allowed to drive.... It's the same principle. Being gay is as much a choice as I have of being short.

Abortion is an entirely different thing, and of COURSE people should be allowed to have an opinion.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
There's only a problem with freedom of speech if there's some kind of choice involved Allie.... I really hope you wouldn't think that someone should be allowed to say black people are stupid or that women shouldn't be allowed to drive.... It's the same principle. Being gay is as much a choice as I have of being short.

Abortion is an entirely different thing, and of COURSE people should be allowed to have an opinion.
Sure they should. I do think there are some limits. I'm not a big fan of the people who disrupt the funerals of AIDS victims to tell the family their loved one is going to ****. I also think that protesting can cross the line into stalkerhood and IMHO that should not be allowed. (There have been incidents where abortion protesters have picketed the house of a doctor who preforms abortions, every day, day in day out, for months at a time. They do things things like shout at the children that their father is a murderer ever time one of the kids poked a nose out of the house. That sort of thing is just not on. It's harassment, not protest, and to my mind should be illegal.)

But sure, people should be allowed to say that black people are stupid or that women shouldn't drive. They're idiots, but in the US they're idiots protected by the First Amendment, of which I am a fan.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Well I'm not.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Actually, thats precisely what I believe. The two examples you have cited above would obviously be made by morons. However, even morons are allowed their say and, although I would disagree completely with their views, I would fight tooth and nail for their right to say it!!!

Repressing peoples rights to free speech is a terrifying prospect if you think about it very carefully. People may have stupid views but thats no excuse for stopping them from saying what they think. To be honest, Hugh, I'm rather shocked that you think otherwise. As Bethany has said, there are obvious restrictions, but stupidity should not be one of them.

Remember those people who have recently been arrested for wearing a T shirt with a anti-Blair slogan on them? You really want us to go further down that road?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Banned

Of course not.... oh and I'm not failing to see the irony in my posts either... I just don't know.

but we're straying way off topic here.

It's a total non-issue for me, just as race and gender are total non issues when it comes to who's going to **** or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page