My Computer Had the April 1 Virus! Read, In Case You Do. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
My Computer Had the April 1 Virus! Read, In Case You Do.

The night before the virus was supposed to hit, I ran Norton Antivirus, Clean-up, and Spy Bot. Then I remembered to update Norton, so I updated it and ran it again. I did the same with Spy Bot.

The next day, I got a message on my desktop that I had a counterfeit version of Windows. The message was (it appeared) from Microsoft. Ever so often it appeared while I was online also, about once an hour.

In addition, my wallpaper had to be turned on repeatedly. I thought I had inadvertently changed some settings, and put up with it for two weeks, really upset with myself.

WELL, I told my daughter, (she knows so much more than I do!) and she said I had a virus, and I wasn't the only one. She loaded Mal-aware virus killer in the computer, and that was the end of my problem! I was really pleased.

If you have those symptoms, run that program! It worked in only a few minutes. I assume that was the virus called the April Fool's Virus, which had been verified on Snopes. I hope I've helped someone!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Premier Cat

Re: My Computer Had the April 1 Virus! Read, In Case You Do.

I just wanted to add that MalAware is a good program and free to download. At another forum, about a week before April 1st, a member who worked in IT advised the members of what they could do to protect their computers and MalAware was one of the better programs she suggested.
That was the first time I had ever downloaded something myself and it worked wonderfully.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Cat Addict

I downloaded Vipre and it works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

I have the exact same problem as you, Jeanie. I tried downloading Malware, but it said it found like 563 problems, but the free download would only fix 20, and that I had to buy it to fix the rest. I didn't.

Then it screwed my computer up completely! I had to do a system restore. Still have the stupid virus.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'll ask my daughter if she can help you. I can't speak for her, but I hope she can.

Jeanie

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

Marie, I have a copy of a professional virus scanner if you're still stuck. Full version as well.

(and no it's not illegal).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Marie, this is the full name: malwarebytes anti-malware

Is that what you used? I think my daughter got hers from a friend who works on computers, but Google says it's free.

Jeanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

Another thing to watch for is those Sponsored links at the top of some search results. 90% of them are Fake virus scanners and will INSTALL crap on your machine. They always ask for payment as well. So you pay 30 quid to have your computer infected.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I'll ask my daughter if she can help you. I can't speak for her, but I hope she can.
She fixed it! All better!

Thanks, Jeanie!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:54 PM
hpi

Doesn't mean it's all removed from the computer. I used to be into the whole malicious code writing and virus removal etc. A lot of times people think they removed it but there's still infections in the computer. You can add a keylogger to said software and you wouldn't even know it since they run in stealth mode and are designed to not be detected.

I don't mean to 'scare' you or anything but just thought I'd point it out.

BTW, best software is Ad aware pro (you can get a cracked version)

Spybot search and destroy which is free.

Mccaffee anti virus

Top 3 programs to have ime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page