any flower gardeners? advice wanted - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

any flower gardeners? advice wanted

So, our landlord just pulled out half a row of half dead shrubs in the front yard, and has given us the OK to plant some flowers there. I'm looking for some ideas for something easy to maintain, as I will only have time on the weekends to tend to it. Also, not too expensive since we don't plan on staying here for more than another year or two. I want it to look nice... not just a collection of unorganized random plants, and would like flowers that will bloom throughout the summer and fall.

The front of the house faces east, and there is nothing blocking the sun from the south until it starts setting over the garage. I'm thinking about using some landscape timbers to raise it up a bit. It would be nice to have some plants tall enough to block a good chunk of the view of the window, since I'm not too keen that people walking by have a direct view of it now that the shrubs are gone.
The area is about 8 ft by 3 ft, and we're zone 4/5 here.

ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Re: any flower gardeners? advice wanted

I like Salvia its pretty easy to take care of
http://www.garden.org/plantguide/?q=show&id=2058.
Also Purple Jew, potatoe vines and Lantanas are easy to take care of and spread

Also heres a website
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Nothing is easier than Zinnias and Marigolds. You can get them tall or short. Reblooming day lilies are nice, and they're easy. A lovely combination, although not too tall would be purple salvia with deep pink impatiens in front. Tall snapdragons in back and double petunias in front looks lovely. If you don't mind buying a trellis, Heavenly Blue Morning Glories would make a nice backgroung. They vine, and grow VERY tall. So do perennial hibiscus. If you want a garden that will bloom continually, you'll have to buy perennials, according to bloom time.

I love flowers. Let us know what you decide to do. There are many plants that would be nice.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Cool Cat

I agree big time with Jeanie! Add some alyssum...alyssum grows like crazy, blooms often. Very popular

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Premier Cat

I like the idea of daylillies, however they will die down in the winter.
You need to ask yourself, since you want to have privacy and I would guess also block some of the summer heat from the direct sun...would you also want those plants to lose their leaves in the fall/winter to *allow* the sun's warming rays?...or would you still like to have privacy?
That can make a difference about what you want to plant.
h =^..^=

We are about to begin a small arbor to shade our small porch and front window, in addition to the walk from the driveway to the front door. I think we will make a frame and use plastic lattice (sturdy, doesn't require painting) and allow clematis vines to cover it in the spring/summer. This will provide shade to help keep the house cool and in the winter, the clematis will lose its' leaves and allow light in.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Premier Cat

I wondered about the idea of privacy during the winter also. How about some decorative grasses which can provide privacy all year round, and some smaller annuals to geive you color during the summer.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Premier Cat

I think if they want privacy year-round they may need to select a shrub that won't collapse under the weight of snow?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

In the winter, the windows are closed and the shades are usually drawn, so privacy is not so much of an issue as it is in the summer when I like to have them open to let in the air.

I like the idea of the salvia, also the daylilies, and snapdragons are one of my favorites
I was also thinking about black eyed susans, or maybe some pinks. It would be nice if I could fit some tulips in to bloom next spring...
Unfortunately, the area is going to be just under 3 ft deep, so not much room for lots of variety. Its so hard to limit it to just a few kinds of plants....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell
In the winter, the windows are closed and the shades are usually drawn, so privacy is not so much of an issue as it is in the summer when I like to have them open to let in the air.

I like the idea of the salvia, also the daylilies, and snapdragons are one of my favorites
I was also thinking about black eyed susans, or maybe some pinks. It would be nice if I could fit some tulips in to bloom next spring...
Unfortunately, the area is going to be just under 3 ft deep, so not much room for lots of variety. Its so hard to limit it to just a few kinds of plants....
You could do a bunch of annuals there since you aren't planning on living there forever. This way you would have lots of color right from the start.

I also was thinking that you could put a piece of lattice on its side at the back of the garden which would give you a visual barrier and it wouldn't matter what you actually put in the garden.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Premier Cat

What about dwarf rhododendron? (I actually spelt that correct first time- miracle!) Anyway, beautiful flowers, will happily grow in a very shaded area and leaves all year round. Or many some azalea? One of my azalea is in flower at the moment, the other and the rhod are going to flower within the next week. I'll post some pics so you can get an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page