New brakes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

New brakes

I had to get new brakes, front and rear. I really shouldn't have needed them with less than 34,000 miles on a 2004 car, but the mechanic told me something I've never, ever heard before in my life: That I should be using the emergency brake every time I park my car. He explained why. Twice. I guess I understand now. He explained it again to the other guy in the waiting room. He'd never been told to use his, either.

Quote:
Another problem comes from the fact that the self adjusting mechanism on certain brake systems uses the parking brake actuation to adjust the brakes. If the parking brake is never used, then the brakes never get adjusted.
So I'm putting this out there in case it could help someone else.

Also, he said if you don't use it and you live in areas with snow and rain and salt, the cables can become corroded.

Quote:
On cars with automatic transmissions, the parking brake is rarely used. This can cause a couple of problems. The biggest problem is that the brake cables tend to get corroded and eventually seize up causing the parking brake to become inoperative. By using the parking brake from time to time, the cables stay clean and functional.
I have to say it really irritated me that the guys at the car wash always put my emergency brake on. Now I know why.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: New brakes

I don't think any man in my family uses the emergency brake. I always do, and get "laughed at." Years ago I let my nephew use my car while his was being fixed. He parked it in the driveway and came in for a minute. When he left, he yelled, "Where's the car?" I was sure he was kidding, but there was no car in the driveway. He had left it in park, and it took a driverless ride down the driveway, acrross the road, through the neighbor's farm fencing, down her hill, and finally stopped when the open door got caught on something... a tree, I believe.

My husband and nephew got the car out (it went to car heaven....) and immediately fixed the farm fencing that had been knocked over. However, the neighbor wanted a professional job, even though it was better than it had been, new, and very secure. "I guess I'm just the helpless victim," she said. And as casually as I could, I said, "Well....I lost my car....."

Always use your emergency brake, everyone!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Premier Cat

Marie with your driving habits I would make sure that every brake that you have is working in mint condition.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Why? I hardly ever use them?

When the guy test-drove my car after installing the new pads, he said, "Man, your car is FAST! I didn't realize how fast I was going!"

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Premier Cat

I love cars like that. I had a '92 Grand Prix with the Sport Suspension. WOOWEEE that was fun to drive. If you got it out on the highway it was hard to keep it under 80. I loved that car so much that when the engine blew I just had a new one put into it.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My favorite car EVER! I had my little Mister for 14 years. (This wasn't my car, but same year, color and model.)

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:36 AM
Banned

Um... this is weird....
Every single person I know who drives sticks the handbrake on (I asume this is what you're calling the emergency brake), when parking. Maybe it's an auto 'box thing.... I dunno.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Senior Cat

I always use my e-brake as does everyone else who drives in the house. Didn't really know why but my dad told me to always use it, now I know why.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hugh, I had never heard of using it for an automatic car parked on an even surface. Manual cars, yes. Of course I've used it when parking on an incline.

I'm embarrassed to say that I got home from the repair shop and didn't put my emergency brake on. I remembered a couple hours later and went back out to do it. Remembering to take it off won't be a problem, it's in my way.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 03:42 AM
Banned

Ah, well I've only been in an auto 'box car a few times, so it's no surprise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page