WHAT Did You Do? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
WHAT Did You Do?

What is the most dangerous thing (dumbest!) you did as a child that you're grateful your mother never found out?

My older sister and her friend decided to walk across a railroad trestle over a creek. We could have fallen or got run over by a train. Either way, we wouldn't be in very good shape.

My mother's in Heaven, so I can tell now! I was frightened, but since I was the "tag-a-long," I thought I had to do it. DUMB!

We also crossed the railroad tracks, after promising we wouldn't. I guess it wouldn't sound any smarter if I told you, "Everyone else does it." But everyone really did. Finally, the city put in an underpass.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Cool Cat

Some friends and I went swimming in a river known for bad rapids my freshman year of college. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately because I am still alive) my mom found out from my little sister...!
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Premier Cat

Only one thing?

When I was in about 5th grade my friend and I slept out in our camper. In the middle of the night we snuck out and walked around for several blocks and then came home. We lived on Long Island at the time, so lots of people around and traffic.
I often think back to that when I hear about kids being taken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

Me and my brother got up to some pretty odd things. We once made a deadfall trap from an SAS Survival guide, and nearly killed my best mate. He's a little dippy, and didn't take heed to the warning not to go near it. He poked the tripwire and nealy got a 50kg log land on him. It was about 3 inches away from turning his head into one of those Mexican party animals that break open (pinjata or something). He was a very lucky boy, and we realised it. It got dismantled straight away. We decided that eating cooked nettles was safe enough (seriously, this is absolutely fine, and perfectly safe, as long as you boil YOUNG plants for a long time).

When we were older, chemistry was our thing, and my dad being a uni prof, we had access to some pretty cool stuff (magnesium filings anyone?). A neighbour's shed still bears the scars from a failed experiment to create "ectoplasm".... Fortunately his kid regrew his eyebrow, and my brother only has a small scar from when the testube exploded. That was an uncomfortable talk with mum I can tell you

There was also the thing with the mole. Basically we reckon a cat had got at it, but not finished it off. It was barely alive and bleeding. My brother smothered it to end it's suffering. We then had the idea of dissecting it. We were kids, and were just interested. Tbh, I still don't think it was entirely bad. It at least gave me an interest in biology that's not left me. We did it properly as well. My brother did all the cutting (even wore gloves lol), and I used a pair of tweezers to remove the organs. My mum and dad never found out I don't think. We buried it afterwards, and washed everything thoroughly, so yeah. Not something I'm exactly proud of, but not ashamed of either. Cutting up fish heads and locusts in college (high school I think) wasn't that much different.

Just realised it was only meant to be one thing. But these are the things that really stick out.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I hope my kids weren't as dumb as we were. We could have really hurt ourselves or someone else.

Jeanie

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

This wasn't when I was a kid...I was in my early 20's, but I don't think my mother ever knew about it...

The boyfriend at the time had a motorcycle that he wintered at his parents second home up north. And when I say 'up north', I mean in the middle of the woods, off miles of dirt road. We go up there Memorial Day weekend, he gets the bike out and is working on it while I'm soaking up some early summer sun. He gets it going and cleaned up and says 'come on, let ride down to the end of the road and back'. I was going to go in and change out of my shorts into long pants, but he was being impatient and I thought "oh we're only going down the road".

Well down to the end of the road ended up being at least a half hour ride and he got himself lost on these dirt roads. We ended up encountering a really muddy stretch and the bike went down. I managed to keep from getting pinned, but the back of my thigh slid over onto the engine cover and burned. Nothing too bad, it was basically no worse than a sunburn, bubbled up a little, peeled and turned brown.

The unfortunate part was that the engine cover had recessed writing, so the leg burned around that and where the letters were didn't burn...so I had a nice advertisement for HONDA in reverse letters on the back of my leg. My mother hated the boyfriend and the motorcycle, so I didn't wear shorts in front of her for like 3 years. The darn thing just didn't want to fade, I finally used some cream for age spots on it twice a day for like 2 months and it went away.

Needless to say, I never went on the bike in shorts again.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
I hope my kids weren't as dumb as we were. We could have really hurt ourselves or someone else.
Believe me, every kid does stupid things which parents never find out about.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Cat Addict

I was a very defiant teenager, I think due to the fact that my parents were very strict and I wasn't allowed to do much.

One evening I had had enough of being told I couldn't go to a friends house after 9pm..I was 15 I think. So, I decided to climb out of the bedroom window and my plan was to escape down the trelis.

I climbed out of the window onto the ledge and suddenly realized I was scared of heights (this was on the 3rd floor), and I froze.

I couldn't move an inch, not back in and not down..I had to call my dad..who left me there for 15 minutes to 'teach me a lesson' before helping me back in.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh, Xanti, that's funny! I found out I was afraid of heights on a sky ride. ( It was like a ski lift, only level )I had my two nephews with me, and I kept telling them not to look out the window! (open space) It made me nervous! And the ride went the whole way across the park. When we went past a concrete support, the whole car shook. I was a mess!

Your dad....wow! I'd have been either crying or yelling!

Jeanie

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Haha, xanti.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page