My frustrations with going Vegetarian - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My frustrations with going Vegetarian

I know a lot of you are vegans here on the forum. I, myself have been struggling for years to go vegetarian, but I have a couple of problems. I hope some of you can offer some advice or share your experiences.

I find a lot of vegetarian dishes totally unappetizing which leaves me with little choice. Although I grew up in Canada, I'm Asian and prefer a lot of the Asian cuisine. Unfortunately, vegetarian Asian cuisine is usually cooked with a lot of oil. Not very healthy.

I'm just lost on how to make the transition. I really want to, but I grew up as a major meat eater so it's very hard to. I've currently somewhat succeeded in limiting my meats to chicken, beef, and pork most of the time. I'm in the middle of cutting out pork.

When I eat salads for several consecutive days, I start to feel gaggy. I'm just not used to having them and I've tried this on and off for a long time.

There's a lot of days where I'm just so frustrated that I skip meals because I don't know what to eat. If it's not made of animal, then it's unappetizing or fattening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Jr. Cat

Have you tried looking into meat substitutes? I am not vegitarian but my cousin is and I have made vegetarian meals before. She has gotten very good at subbing vegetarian meats tofu etc. into normal recipes. She does a lot of Italian type foods vegetarian style too. One of her favorites is stuffed shells. She subs beef and chicken broth with vegetable broth and the spicier the food the more normal tasting it is even when substituting things. It might help the adjustment if you were eating stuff you were familiar with just modified.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Cool Cat

I'm not a vegetarian either, but what about some Indian dishes? You can slow cook things like potatoes, carrots, peas, spinach, tofu, etc. in your favorite yogurt sauce in a crockpot. I also like seasoned steamed veggies that can be eaten alone or with rice or noodles. Chili is pretty hearty if you like beans, and it freezes well for lunches. What about hummus, pasta dishes, bean burritos, soups (broccoli, potato, barley, corn, gumbo), stuffed peppers, nachos & guacamole, omelets, peanut butter, or grilled cheese? A lot of this depends if you are going vegetarian or vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Oh, I hope you eat more than just salad. If you eat a lot of salad and less "real food" I'm not surprised you start to feel gaggy.

Look into Japanese and Indian cuisine. Healthy, great nutrition and tasty. A lot of it is vegetarian. When you cut out meat you need to replace it with beans, lentils and other protein sources. In the beginning it can be easier to use the meat subtitutes. It offers you the possibility to eat less meat but you don't have to do any major changes in your diet.

I was vegetarian for 7 years, not anymore though but we still eat a lot of vegetarian food. I nowadays can make a bean dish that's not only edible but actuarally tastes great.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Premier Cat

I have a great spinach, potato and chick pea curry recipe if you want to try it. I can post it on here. I'm not a vegetarian, but I've made it for my flatmates girlfriend, who is. She really enjoyed it.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Cat

Melysion, I'd like the recipe!

I've been looking into going vegetarian, too. Swimkris's suggestions sounded SOOOOO yummy!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Premier Cat

I'll look it up when I get home and post it tonight

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I believe I'll have to start looking towards Indian and Japanese cuisines then. And the individual dish suggestions were useful too! I love chilli!

I also wanted to lose some weight in the process so I wanted to limit the carbs etc. But this is a good start.

I think I'm going to start with vegetarian first and see how I do.

Thanks guys!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, that was lucky! Found the recipe online (I have the book at home - its a students cookbook)

Curry recipe

Please excuse the rather 'hip' writing style - Mr Stern is barely out of his teens.

And heres another recipe. Not tried it but it looks yummy - and has Chili in it

Veggie Tagine Recipe

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Last edited by melysion; 08-13-2010 at 01:25 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Tom Cat

I don't know if I can offer you advice, I'm a very unhealthy vegan. I live off of delicious oily Indian food and Chinese food. I eat a lot of meat substitutes like frozen boca burgers. I eat a lot of rice and curried vegetables. Hmm, today I had a baked potato with vegan sour cream. There's endless options for me since we're Indian and most of our food is vegan anyway. I have been vegan for 5 years and I was a HUGE meat eater before I went vegan. I was obsessed with meat - fried chicken, kebabs, etc. but then later I figured out that if you had a lot of spices and yummy vegan dressings and flavors to your vegan options then they are just as delicious. But I've been too lazy to cook lately. When I've been hungry, I've been going to subway and getting a veggie delite with all the vegetables and eating that with a boca burger. There's some frozen vegan lasanga too which is so good. Sometimes i eat lay's potato chips when I'm hungry. Yeah I'm a very unhealthy vegan, probably has to do with the fact that I'm a college student...don't have time to cook meals and look up recipes.

I am sure you will find a lot of options. And this is coming from someone who used to LOVE to eat meat but now is a vegan who still eats a lot of delicious food and feels no void whatsoever. There are far more vegetarian options than vegan. BTW Whole Foods market is HEAVEN for vegetarians and vegans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page