Arrrrghh.... *fun* with neighborlady. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Arrrrghh.... *fun* with neighborlady.

Alright, I have to vent my frustrations.

We live in a townhouse, and one of my neighbor's a couple doors down but in my building is driving me crazy. It started out with abandoning her cat. He's a gorgeous and super-sweet boy kitty that originally was a mostly inside, sometime outside kitty when we first moved in three years ago, that became an always outside all day, all night, all weather (snow, severe thunderstorms, etc). I used to knock on her door at night to get her to let him him, which she would always scold him for being out. I even did this at 3am one morning because I was started to get irritated with her. I began to get a little suspicious about her motives with letting him out however because kitty was ALWAYS outside and every time he saw us in our garage he would come running in and hang out with us - for hours - and I would feed and water him and he would snarf the food down. Finally one day, after about 4 months of seeing him outside ALL the time, and ALWAYS at her front door wanting to be let in, we had a super severe storm that spawned tornadoes all around us, he ran into our garage and I walked over to let him inside. I asked her "do you let him in anymore, because he is always in our garage now." and she replied "no, not anymore - he tears up my furniture". She told me this in a companionable way, like I would totally get abandoning your cat outside because he's "tearing up your furniture". Anyway, the story has a good ending, because another one of our neighbor's decided to adopt him. He's a very healthy, happy boy now who never tries to go outside. Unheard of for a cat that LIKES to go outside, right???

Now fast forward to my current irritation. Her adult daughter has moved in with her, bringing her boyfriends 4mos old pitbull mix puppy with her. The boyfriend moved to Louisiana and couldn't bring the pup. Neither of them want this dog. They asked if we wanted him, but we do not have time for a puppy, and this one needs a LOT of socialization and training - he's sweet, but so hyper!! Anyways, it's gotten a lot better (they probably got someone called on them) but when she first brought him home they would leave him tied up outside in the backyard. A FOUR-MONTH OLD PUPPY. FOR HOURS. He would bark and whine NON STOP for hours while they had him out there. I know one time he was out for over 3 hours. Now, they still tie him up out there, but it's only for an hour or two. And yesterday I saw the daughter jogging with him, so that's good. But still. A couple nights ago they let him out to go potty (because "he's usually so good about going out, doing his thing, and coming right back inside" - again, 4mos... puppy.... no obedience training... you know), he started chasing after one of our feral cats, he ran into our little glass bistro patio table and tipped it over... shattered glass EVERYWHERE. The daughter agreed to pay for it (though we haven't seen her since this happened) and she helped my husband sweep up the glass... but still.

ARGHH!!!!! And the thing is they are both SUPER sweet people, they just have absolutely NO CONCEPT of responsible pet ownership and it's sad!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Premier Cat

*sigh* I sometimes think our spay/neuter prgrams are targetting the wrong species...

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Cool Cat

It's illegal here for an animal to be tied up, whether there is water, food and shelter or not. Getting the puppy into SPCA would give it a shot at a good life - unlike what it has now.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I know, I had debated on calling someone that day that I saw him out there for a long time. It's hard though, because she is one of my immediate neighbors, and I don't want to start a feud. Good news is that they seem to be starting to realize... Last night he was outside for only 30 minutes. This morning she was out jogging with him again. I still don't understand why they are tying him up out there though... Are they trying this as a way to housebreak him?? Punishment?? I just don't get it. Anyway, if they are deciding to keep him then I really hope they put him through obedience training. He could really benefit from it. And I hope she pays for my table.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Premier Cat

I dont give a flip if it offends people if I confront them about their poor treatment of their animal. I would take them over a book or print out puppy treatment and what an animal needs. If nothing changes Im not against walking into the yard or picking the dog off the street and taking them to our shelter.

I know some people hate me for it but Im the only voice of reason this dog or cat has in its defence and survival. If nothing changes i would point blank tell them they dont have the companssion and discipline it takes to own an animal. Who cares about their "feelings" what they are doing to an animal is worse than their feelings.

these are not nice people they are selfish and stupid. i would let them know several of your neighbors are upset with the way they treat their animals so they will feel shamed in the eyes of the neighborhood.

I have zero tolerance for people like that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Banned

If someone didn't like the way you were treating your children, then they should phone the proper authorities. You'd be ok with some random stranger taking away a child because they didn't like the way the child was being treated?

What reaction do you think I would get if I just took a kid away by the hand if it's mother was hitting it in the supermarket or something (I once saw this woman belt this kid so hard, it fell over)? Would you think "that man is so kind, he's rescuing that kid", Rubbish. I'd be chucked into jail faster than you can say John Venables.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Premier Cat

Neighbors of my friends were mistreating a dog. No food no water barked all the time, out in the monsoons, no dog house. We called the police and they did nothing. They wouldnt come out. Animal control here is just as bad. They wont show up for days. That is why we dont depend on them anymore. They are worthless. Weve only had one woman police officer give us her personal cell phone number and asked us not to give it out to everyone. She was a diffinite animal lover. She was dealing with us in a horriding situation with over 60 cats in very bad shape. 40 of them were put down. We didnt get a vote on that one. We took the rest and spent a ton of money getting them back to health and taking them to a new colony. The situation would of broke your heart seeing the condition they were in and the woman saw nothing wrong!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Tom Cat

when you report someone you can request that your name not be given. I would not hesitate. Just because they act nice to your face doesn't mean you should cut them so much slack... when they are mistreating animals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Merry, I'm glad you have the courage of your convictions! Someone has to help these abused animals!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Premier Cat

When I first started TNR & rescue I had no idea situations like this exist. We even been called to murder scenes to remove cats & coordinate with other rescues to remove horses, fowl, & dogs. I have to admit Ive come to a point of zero tolerance. Some weeks I'm in burn out dealing with heartless stupid people. I'm not beyond getting in peoples faces. I try hard to find articles & stories of success to keep a good mind set & not lose perspective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page