Now Obama has his throat on the foot of my garden - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Now Obama has his throat on the foot of my garden

I'm having a tree taken out of the gardenish area in front of my house but the permit requires me to put in a new tree on my property. I even have to choose from an approved list. A rugged individualist can't even cut down a tree without suffering gubmint repression. Whatever happened to Paul Bunyon?

I'm thinking Crepe Myrtle or Fringe Tree. The Crepe Myrtle is 'salt intolerant'. The Fringe Tree has moderate salt tolerance. I've 4 miles from the water so I'm leaning toward the Crepe Myrtle.

Any other repressed gardeners out there with an opinion.? As a heterosexual male I don't know anything about plants or trees.

Neither has thorns for repelling 'tree huggers'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think you should check with BIG SISTER. You don't want to find your tree lying on your garbage can!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Premier Cat

I like Crepe Myrtles, they grow well and have a beautiful show of blooms in early/mid-summer with a variety of colors to choose from. I am not sure ... but I *think* you may have to prune the top every year. Do you want a tree that requires maintenance or would you rather have one that requires no assistance to grow nicely?

A tree I planted, and grew FAST, was a Royal Paulonia Tomentosa. It grows about 6-10' a year, has large leaves to provide shade and presents blooms just before the leaves burst out. It is deciduous and loses it's leaves in the winter to allow light through, but makes GREAT shade for the summer. It is also called a Princess or Empress Tree.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The Crepe Myrtle is my first choice. I Googled some images and I like the blooms. I can trim it once in a while. I have all sorts of yard equiptment I have to get my money's worth from. The 4 other choices on the list of acceptable replacements were oaks and boring brown things that don't bloom.

I just had a gardener clean up the growth and prune the trees in my back yard and I guess a gardener lived here at some point because I have a lot of rare things back there that I just called 'bushes'. I even have an avacado bush/tree though I've never seen an avaccado back there. A woman who used to live down the street was complementing me on my Jacaranda and I had no idea what it was. I'm just going for a colorful blooming tree.

If the Pres touches my tree she's going in my wheelie bin.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ph View Post

if the pres touches my tree she's going in my wheelie bin.
:-p:-p:-p
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

I love Crepe Mytles...I'd go with that...they are so pretty.

Just watched the wheelie bin video. Wonder why she did that...after petting it so nicely! Doesn't make any sense...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather102180 View Post
I love Crepe Mytles...I'd go with that...they are so pretty.

That's my first choice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Premier Cat

Our town has Crepe Myrtles all over the place and they host a Crepe Myrtle Festival every summer. They really do look beautiful when they bloom and I like their multiple trunks, I find them very interesting because they are so different from the standard single-trunk trees. I wish I could plant more trees in our front yard to shade our home but we have a septic tank with the leach-field out front and I cannot chance filling the leach-field with roots. Darnit.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Cool Cat

We have 3 Crepe Myrtles trees and 4 as shrubs.
They all need to be cut back every year as the bloom appears on new growth. Beautiful, but the flowers are messy if they are in a location that you walk on.
And they are prone to infestation, which means they drip sap.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page