An owl wants to eat my kitties!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

An owl wants to eat my kitties!!!

I got called by work even though I'm not supposed to be on-call and when I got done I went to have a coffee and watch the sunrise out at the pool with the furkids.

A big owl came swooping down and landed on the pool cage. His flight path would have brought him right onto Mia.

Its (it's) really bad because she had escaped for a while around sunset last night. I had some work done in the back yard and someone must have bumped a small hole into the bottom corner of the screen cage. I keep warning her its (it's) a dangerous world out there and she's a tasty little white morsel but she keeps trying to escape into it. She just won't listen. Evne when I'm tracking her an owl could snag her. They're famous for grabbing small dogs around here.

Now I'm on owl alert. The bugger flew over and made himself at home on the fence behind some palms after I scared him off the pool cage.

Is there any way to get rid of an owl without using a shotgun. The neighbors probably wouldn't like that. But its (it's) personal now. He wants Mia. I want him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Premier Cat

Of course he wants Mia, it looks like a big furry rat to him. Do yourself and Mia a favor and keep her inside your house. Problem solved! Please do not shoot the owl, it has to eat too, mice and rats yes, but will eat a kitten if it has the chance.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Cool Cat

I vote on keeping them inside for awhile too. When the owl no longer sees the cats, it will start looking elsewhere.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Premier Cat

I know Fay and Mia enjoy the pool enclosure (is it fully enclosed, including the top?) so I think I would create a project out of strengthening the lower panels to 100% prevent any kitty-escapes from popped screens, check the upper panels for strength to possibly strengthen them and maybe hang a large plastic owl to frighten the real owl away. I've heard if they are firmly mounted, the wildlife grow accustomed to it and will ignore it, but if it is hanging and can sway and spin in the breeze, it appears 'alive' and keeps the wildlife spooked away.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Cat

The only legal way to get an owl to move on is to make your yard unsuitable habitat for them.
An owl willing to take on an adult cat isn't really intimidated by anything else other than another owl of the same species- and that only if the intruder happens to be a large agressive specimen.
They have a horrible sense of smell, so any kind of smelly repellant is useless.
Remove anything that may be considered "yummy food" for the owl-- keep the girls inside for a while from dusk onward. You may also want to make sure you aren't getting many nocturnal mammals in your yard-- skunk happen to be a favorite for large owls, so keeping anything they may want to eat out of the yard will make them less likely to come around.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Ah Ha. Ace Hardware has an electronic owl for only $37.99

It has motion sensors and turns amd hoots at motions. Maybe he'd scare the pesky squirrels away. I think the owls lives very close because I've heard it before but this is my first sighting.

The Electronic owl has very mixed reviews but I'm gonna give it a try.

Mia's not such a big cat. There was a news story here about a small dog that got taken by an owl right in front of his owner but came home a few hours later. If he messed with Fay I think he'd lose, you should see the claws and fangs on her, but Mia's a tiny little girl with tiny claws and teeth.

Its screen inspection time. He wouldn't be able to get in but I have to be sure Mia is contained.

Easy Gardener® Garden Defense Electronic Owl (8021) - Lawn Ornaments - Ace Hardware
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Of course he wants Mia, it looks like a big furry rat to him. Do yourself and Mia a favor and keep her inside your house. Problem solved! Please do not shoot the owl, it has to eat too, mice and rats yes, but will eat a kitten if it has the chance.
Shooting's not an option. He was fast and when I missed I'd hit the neighbor's house.

The owl can't get in. The top is enclosed.

I'm just worried about Mia escaping. Last night I just sat out and watched her till she returned because she was having too much fun with the 'run away from Dave' game and I was starting to relax about it because she didn't go far.

I DID NOT jump over the fence because she did not get into the neighbor's yard for a minute. When that didn't happen I didn't knock a few slats lose from the neighbors fence and bump the electric transformer that powers the entire 'hood as I didn't fall flailing to the ground.

There was a power outage this morning and they did come and work on the transformer over there that I didn't land one leg on but the power outage wasn't till this Morning. 12+ hours after I didn't sorta fall on it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I'm lovin' Ace Hardware.

Only $26.99 plus some wire put on top of my screen cage and insulated from the structure should fix my owl and squirrel problems.

Fi-Shock® Continuous Current Electric Fence Energizer (SS-525CS)

1000 volt and 4.5 ma.
  • Runs on std 110/120V current
  • 60 Hertz, .027 Amps, 10 watt
  • Range is up to 10 acres under ideal conditions
  • Has a continuous AC current output
  • Ideal for small pastures, hobbyists and lawn and garden use
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I hope that works, Dave! What a worry that owl is!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

So much forThe Owl and The Pussycat taking to sea.

We have Great Horbed owls

Owl and Dog Safety

Here's a dog owl story.

It's a bird, it's a plane ... it's a dog?

Of all the incredulous tales that turn up in the Quad-Cities, none that I know of can match this … A dog falling from the night skies.
And it’s true, too!
Sadie, a petite-sized Pomeranian, landed next to a Davenport street last weekend after surviving a flight of about two miles, clutched in the talons of a great horned owl.
As the owl flies, Sadie’s flight covered between 24 to 30 city blocks. She was scruffed up, but suffered nothing worse than bruises and a broken tail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page