Christchurch earrthquake - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Christchurch earrthquake

As some of you may know my partner, two cats and I moved to christchurch a few months ago.
On Saturday at 4.30am we experienced a 7.4 magnitude earthquake (which later got downgraded to a 7.1)
Professional photos can be seen here: 7.1 earthquake photos | Stuff.co.nz

We were lucky to get away with no one in our family being too hurt and miraculously no one in the city has died.

When the earthquake struck our blind cat Stig was sleeping on our bed with us. I managed to pick him up and get him to the doorway with us but as a result I managed to come away with scratches all up my arm as can be seen here:

Our other cat Sassy had hidden under the clothes horse that we have in our lounge.

and a non cat inflicted but earthquake injury to my toe (sorry about the quality)

it is now 9am monday in New Zealand and we are still experiencing aftershocks with the biggest aftershock being a 5.4 magnitude. As i have never done well in earthquakes these aftershocks really have me on edge especially since the academics and news people are saying that we will probably experience another significantly large quake. I have only gotten about 3hours sleep since the big one.
We are not really allowed out of our houses and public buildings such as schools/universitys etc are closed. The city is on a curfew with no one being allowed out between 7pm-7am. Water and power are on the blink but we are lucky enough to have both although the water is not drinkable without boiling it.

Stig (blind cat) seems to have gotten use to it, sleeping through most of the aftershocks now, except he has been coming into bed under the blankets and all at night.

Sassy is a little more on edge looking to see how i react when there is an aftershock and takes her cue from that. If i get up to go under the door way she will go and hide. If i stay where I am so does she.

Both cats are sticking very close to me which I am extremly happy about as a lot of animals have gone missing around here since saturday morning.

here is a pic of the two cats a couple of hours after the first big quake:

This is the closest they have been since we got Stig over a year ago. Sassy usually will not even let him get near her.

This photo is a crack that emerged on the road outside our house

I'm am happy and so lucky that our little family did not suffer any lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I heard about the quake on the news! How frightening that must have been! Thank God you're all right. Sorry you got injured, but so glad you're alive!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thankyou, I think I would prefer to get injured a 100 times over knowing that no one lost their lives and me and mine are all fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad you and yours are safe.

I've been reading about this and watching news stories all weekend.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm glad your family is alright! 7.1 is huge and terrifying!

We live in Southern California, and the Northridge quake that hit back in 94 was smaller than yours, and terribly scary and destructive. I cannot imagine the fear you must be feeling...

Annie
"If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Premier Cat

Thank goodness you are all ok. Hugs to you all as you recover from this very frightening experience.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

so there has been a casuality Lemur quake victim - national | Stuff.co.nz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page