Rant! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Rant!

In general, I think Facebook is a good thing. Its put me back in touch with lot of old friends/aquaintances from High school, college, etc. that I would never hear from again otherwise....

sometimes I think its better to never hear from them again.....

At LEAST once or twice a month, I get a message on facebook from someone I knew in some way a long time ago. Not a hi, how ya doin, message...it normally reads something like this.

"Hi Rachael. I know you love animals and I was hoping you could help me. I have this *insert animal here* and she's great but I've just *insert life circumstance here, moved, had a baby, gotten married, etc* and I can't keep her any more. I really want her to go to a good home. Do you know of anyone looking for a *insert pet here*. "

I usually reply back, trying to find out why they can't keep the pet, whats going on, and if there is anything they can try to fix the problem. Sometimes they will humor me for a message or two, but at the end of the day, they just want rid of the pet and don't want any suggested solutions that don't involve getting rid of the pet.

I get SO SICK of this!!! It really makes me mad! This last one was a lady with a ten year old mini poodle who has just gotten engaged and her fiance doesn't like the dog. Don't get me started! The one before that was a friend who just had a baby and the dog was barking when she would hold the baby. I arranged for a friend of mine who is a positive reinforcement trainer to do an in home session with them FOR FREE to try to get them to keep the dog. All they had to do was call or email and set up a time. Never did. I'm afriad to ask what happened to the dog.

I try to be diplomatic and understanding. But sometimes I just want to rip these people a new one! Pet are for life! They are like any relationship, they require work and commitment.

I understand that sometimes its in the best interest in the pet to find it a new home. But wouldn't you want to exhaust every option first? Grrrr! I'm so annoyed!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Wow. If someone offered me help with Gigi, I'd take it in a second! How ungrateful!

I just have to say, if people are coming out of the woodwork after not hearing from them for years, you must have been helping animals for a very long time, Rachael. What a sweetheart you are!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Rachael, that must be heartbreaking, as well as a huge annoyance. If those callers don't contact you for any other reason, they're not friends, are they? It's up to you, but I wouldn't take the responsibility. You are much more patient than I would be, I'm afraid. I know you are thinking about the animal, and that's very kind. It's hard enough, however, to think of the animals in shelters let alone take on these "friends" problems. It's sad though; I understand that. You have a good heart, but as my mother used to tell me in dreams, "You can't take care of all of the animals. It's too much for one person."

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks Jeanie, and Marie.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page