A Day of Remembrance - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
A Day of Remembrance

Today is the anniversary of the 9/11 tragedies. I just wanted to honor the memory of those whose lives were lost and ask God's blessing for their relatives and friends.

The pastor who was going to burn the Koran has changed his mind. Imagine even thinking of burning the very book that, if the terrorists had obeyed, would have prevented this tragedy. And it's shocking that a man who is supposed to serve God would have considered doing such a thing!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Cat

The only thing Pastor Alfred E. Newman is serving is himself.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Premier Cat

Thanks for reminding us Jeanie. That was a horrific day and my heart goes out to all of those who lost loved ones in the tragedy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

I recently watched 102 Minutes that changed America. It was just a collation of all the amateur and professional film footage (along with radio and other audio transmissions) that was captured that day.

It really reminded me of the terror of that day. I'm pretty casual when it comes to such things normally, but on that day, even I felt nervous when I heard a plane fly low a couple of days later.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

My daughter was working in Pittsburgh, and the plane flew right over that aread. (and this one, I guess) I was terrified that her building would be hit. I called her. Management had already told the staff to leave.

I don't think we'll ever forget that day.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Cat Addict

I will never forget standing in my office looking up at that beautiful clear blue empty sky that day and knowing that nothing would ever be the same again. Also the feelings of grief and horror when the buildings collapsed. I just wanted to get home and be with my family and hold my children.

Sue

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Premier Cat

My Uncle (financial district) and his daughter (2 blocks away) had to walk out of the city that day. We did not learn of their safety until after two days had passed.

I wore red, white and blue today and thought of the many lives touched and forever changed with 9/11.

Re: the Koran-burning, I think the issue is that many people cannot, will not, or do not care to make the necessary distinction between Islamic religion and extremist terrorism in the form of Al Qaeda. Painting all Muslims and their Islamic religion as terrorists is like saying all Germans were Nazi's, all Mormons are polygamists or the Westboro Baptist Church represents all Christianity.

Comments from another site:
'The people who don't [acknowledge] the difference are being hateful and ignorant on purpose ... creating their own reality to suit the anger they feel inside.'
...and...
'Muslims are generally a peace loving people. There are radicals in every religion that can distort what religion is all about.'

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13 View Post
I will never forget standing in my office looking up at that beautiful clear blue empty sky that day and knowing that nothing would ever be the same again.
Whilst I think some things haven't changed (humankind's complete hatred of different cultures and religions), some things most definitely have.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hugh, I don't think we can generalize about humankind. There used to be much more prejudice between Christians and Jews and between Catholics and Protestants. We have made some progress.

Some people are quite cautious about people wearing traditonal Muslim clothing. Of course we shouldn't paint an entire group of people with the same brush, but there is fear. I remember someone telling me she would not board a plane if there was a passenger who appeared to be a Muslim. That's sad, of course, but it's not hatred; it's fear. We have been at war, of course. Sadly...

Jeanie

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

Ok I guess I meant fear rather than hatred for the majority of people. However, there is still real hatred for Jews, Christians and Catholics. Northern Ireland may be a much safer place, but the hatred is still there.

Seriously, I personally can't for the life of me understand how someone could "fear" someone just because they're dressed like a Muslim. But then blind prejudice is something we all suffer from in some form or another occasionally, no matter how open minded we think we are. It's a natural instinct to be afraid of something we don't understand or don't know about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page