Anyone else bummed to see dead deer? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Anyone else bummed to see dead deer?

For the past week I've seen two small deer grazing right on the exit off the beltway, like 25' from cars whizzing by. Every day I said to myself -- watch out little ones, that's way too close to traffic. Sure enough this morning, one of them was dead on the side of the road.

Is anyone else really sad to see dead deer around? Why, why, why are they so stupid that they don't avoid cars? Even squirrels know to do that.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Banned

Living near the New Forest, we've seen a few. Dead ponies and their foals as well. The Forestry Commission set up a 40mph limit on all New Forest roads because of this. It dropped the death toll for animals by a massive amount.

The animals just wander into the road without seeming to know the dangers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Premier Cat

I don't know why deer don't try to avoid traffic, but regrettably they don't. I live in an area where they are a number of deer. It's wonderful to see them out wandering around behind my back garden when I sit outside. But, when I drive down my street, I have to be very cautious. I drive at about 15-20 mph, because the deer have a nasty habit of darting out from behind trees or bushes right into the road. Even driving as slow as I do, I've had to slam on the brakes at least 3 or 4 times in the past few months alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 AM
NRD
Tom Cat

Unfortunately, it's not just deer, though many deer forage in tight spots very close to highways like the Beltway. It is squirrels as well, and raccoons and other small animals that just can't gauge the speed with which cars approach them. They see them, but it's outside their experience to have anything move that fast towards them, until it hits them.

I just did a little online research, and here's what the Yosemite Park Website says, in part:

"So far this year 20 bears, untold amounts of deer, squirrels and other animals have been hit and killed by cars. Were they all killed by people speeding? Maybe. Could they have been saved by people slowing down? Probably.

It’s easy for people to get distracted while driving in Yosemite. I mean, there’s so much to see. Bears, unfortunately for them, were never told not to step out in front of moving cars."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

New Rescue, the beltway exit I'm talking about is Rockville Pike. No doubt you're familiar. The deer are right there on the exit every morning.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Senior Cat

I hate it. I hate to see the squirrels and birds too. Even the skunks. But I must admit, whenever I see a skunk, I think to myself, at least it wasn't a cat.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Considering my smart little kitties will run right off the end of a cat tree if they're after a fly, I guess we can't ask for any more from deer.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page