Organizing A Group To Help My Local Animal Shelter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Organizing A Group To Help My Local Animal Shelter

Or not local...Maybe a general one if a bunch of people are helping out! Here is my idea...

My local (well, not my township, but in my state) Humane Society sends me letters with "special gifts", and they ask for donations. I've donated here and there, but the most I can afford is $5.00 because it's my OWN money. I wanted to think of a way to help my local (or non-local) shelter, by raising money and maybe some supplies. I had wanted to try and organize something online, with a group, because we have Facebook and Twitter and all of these social networking sites that could really boost the donations and get the word spread. I had thought about this. We have a PayPal account because of our business. Now, I know there is some trust issues here, understandably so. I would have them. But, I thought, we could use an already existing PayPal account or create a new one if possible, so people can donate money. Then, we can set a minimum amount, so when our balance reaches, lets say $100, we'll send a check to the shelter we all agree upon. Or, we could break it into half (or halves) and donate it to two (or multiple) shelters. Then, we can agree to set aside some money for shipping in case people want to ship toys or other supplies to the shelter. In that case, that money would be taken out and mailed to the person who wants to do that, in hopes that they use that money for shipping only. But, so we can eliminate people saying "oh, I need $50 for shipping", we can set a minimum. USPS has flat rate boxes in small, medium, and large. We can set the minimum at the USPS flat rate large box price. Just a few example ideas on that. As far as the trust issues, this was my idea, and of course, I would be more than willing to write up statements to track the money.

Example: January 1st-31st of 2011, $600.00 was raised in donations, $100.00 went to The Humane Society of the United States, $250.00 went to a shelter in Florida, $50.00 went to a shelter in Michigan, $25.00 went to a shelter in California, $25.00 went to a shelter in New York, and $50.00 went to a shelter in Texas, leaving $100.00 left over for shipping funds, in which $15.00 went to a person in Washington D.C., $15.00 went to a person in Arizona, $10.00 went to a person in Utah, $10.00 went to a person in Alaska, $4.00 went to a person in Mississippi, $6.00 went to a person in Montana, $15.00 went to a person in New Mexico, $10.00 went to a person in Michigan, $10.00 went to a person in Oklahoma, and $5.00 went to a person in Indiana, leaving a balance of $0.00 going into the month of February, 2011.

Hope that wasn't too much information, but, you get the idea. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? Of course shipping SUPPLIES (boxes, packaging materials, tapes, etc..) would be purchased at the expense of the person wishing to donate, as well as the cost of the items. What does everyone else think?
ETA: We could also set aside a little bit extra money for postage, so people who donate, can have statements like the above mailed to them, or for no cost, emailed to them. Just another thought.

*~*~*Megan*~*~

Last edited by Megan1216; 10-03-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Another thought that came to mind after I posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Just wanted to let you all know that I posted a link to this thread in my Facebook status to get thoughts and ideas from some of my friends on there!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think that's quite a project for a young person. If people want to donate toys, etc., I think they'll be willing to pay the shipping, so I would not use the money for that purpose. I wish you lots of luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Banned

I'd say it's quite a project for an old person as well

That sounds great Megan. Hope it all works out for you.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Good thinking, Jeanie. I don't see what the problem would be with hosting a site using one of the free web hosting sites out there, like the one I use, so we wouldn't have to put money towards that.

Thank you both for the "good lucks"!

I know that PayPal DOES take out a fee, and it varies with each amount, so that would have to be something to take into consideration.

Has anyone here tried to organize something like this? Successful? Unsuccessful?

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Cat

Check this, but I don't think Paypal charges a fee if the money is sent as a gift.

I agree that shipping should be included as part of the donation and would not send out funds for this.

I have a couple of friends who on facebook "donated" their birthday to our local humane society and asked for donations in lieu of a gift. There is a facebook application for this. They have raised a significant amount of money. Though its a once a year per person thing, if you have a group of people, they can all do this on their birthday and draw donations from their families & friends who might not give to a shelter but would give their friend a gift. Just an idea.

I think its great you want to help! Just spreading the word and getting more people to spay & neuter their pets is worth a lot.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRed View Post
Check this, but I don't think Paypal charges a fee if the money is sent as a gift.

This is true.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I read last night that the sender now decides whether they want to pay the fee or have the recipient pay the fee.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Really! I had no idea, thanks! I think more people would be willing to donate supplies if we had shipping money set aside, YET, on the other hand, people may not be willing to donate as much if some money is set towards something OTHER than direct donation, if you know what I mean? I guess if they REALLY wanted to donate food or toys, they could stick to local shelters where they can drop it off themselves?

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Jr. Cat

Good on you Megan for trying to think of ways to help animals.

I was with an animal rights group in Sydney and every year we did work for a Christmas appeal which involved collecting goods for various shelters for cats and dogs.
No money was involved just goods. I found in the end I was rejecting people who wanted to give me cash (decent amounts too - like $100 or $200 so in the end I took the money and bought stuff and just gave them receipts of what I bought).

I think dealing with cash is often hard. Good on you for having a go.

I worked with a group in Sydney called Catrescue and they managed to get their donations TAX DEDUCTIBLE which is quite a feat but they have their site set up so that people can donate through the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page