Cell Phones and Driving - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Cell Phones and Driving

On The View this morning, Whoopi Goldberg talked about one of her pet peeves, that is, texting while driving. She thinks the police should take the car, that it's almost as bad as drunk driving. She may be right. A call would have to be an emergency to to be justified, and I see no reason to text and drive.

I get upset when my daughter calls me while she's driving. I believe it's dangerous to concentrate on driving with one hand while carrying on a conversation. But if I thought the person on the other end of the line was texting, I'd hang up! They are risking the lives of other drivers, pedestrians, and themselves.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
I cannot stand when people text and talk while driving. It's dangerous, and unless it's an emergency, there's no reason why it can't wait. If you MUST respond or talk, then pull over. Some people ARE good at multi-tasking. Doesn't mean it's safe, though!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

It's against the law here in California, but people don't care. They cut back when the law was first enacted, but now, not so much. I was almost hit recently on an on-ramp by a guy holding his phone in front of his face trying to text and he wandered right into my lane. Idiots.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Cat

It amazes me how many people swear their driving is not affected by talking / texting on their cellphone. They remind me of the drunk who says he can drive just fine! Are they are just so hooked on running their mouth that they are in denial, can't wait til they get parked? Or they don't take driving seriously enough to care if they are impaired? Totally scares me that so many are so unaware or selfish. I can not understand why someone would risk so much for a conversation.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

People who do it should have both car and phone taken away for a while. Say a few weeks.

There isn't a single excuse that condones it. There's no emergency great enough to endanger the lives of other people as well as the driver.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Senior Cat

Its illegal here to be on your cellphone while driving. Unfortunatly, this law has caused more accidents, not less. Now everyone is just trying to hide the fact that they are texting while driving, making it more dangerous than if they didn't hide it.

A week ago a two year old girl near where I live was killed while crossing the road with her mom...the driver of the car that hit them was texting while driving.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
How heartbreaking. She was just a baby.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

People are not equal. Some are good at multitasking, are ambidextrous, well coordinated and so forth. My sister was a level 10 gymnast for example, and a hobby of mine is to juggle. Having a more single task focused uncoordinated person attempt the two would result in disaster.

Unfortunately in our society, we have to make laws for all based on the lowest common denominator.

Personally, I would simply prefer a subjective "distracted driving" clause that an officer could use.

If a gal is late for work and is applying her lipstick in the rear view mirror on the highway, is that as bad as talking on the cellphone?

If instead she's struggling to keep the peace with her kids in the back seat, is that as bad?

If a guy is programming radio stations into his stereo systems while crossing an intersection, how does that rank?

What if instead he's doing a search on his GPS unit for chinese restaurants in the area while approaching a stop sign?

How many laws do we need to cover all the bases, or can we just scape goat some distractions while ignoring others?

I can't blind text (smartphone flat screen) so can't even attempt it, but I use a bluetooth headpiece when talking on the phone, and I don't act any differently carrying on a conversation with someone I can't see than a passenger sitting right next to me. Its safe. I've been driving 17 years without a single accident or insurance claim (hence why I carry liability only insurance saving a ton). But my ex backed up into my community mail box (HUGE object, doesn't move very fast) and for whatever reason would completely zone out when talking on the phone, although she could talk to a passenger and remain "inside" the car in her mind just fine. Not safe. A police officer should be able to observe and tell the difference between a distracted driver or not (regardless of the particular distraction) and issue a warning and citation as necessary.

PS: the day we let Whoopie influence legislation is the first sign of the apocalypse!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Jr. Cat

I've seen people drive while listening to music and at the same time texting!

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Jr. Cat

I do not think there is any excuse for texting and driving. For those who are convinced that they are super multitaskers and that the laws should not apply to them, I would say that there is a big potential to be a poor judge of your own abilities when texting and driving. I think research has supported this idea.

California laws have not done much to stop cell phones and texting, but the problem is that the fine is so low. If they raised the fine to that of red light tickets, which are several hundred dollars, iand charged points against your driving record, it might make a difference.

Here in CA we also had a horrendous train crash that killed and injured many. Texting by an engineer played a part in this.

I do not know what it is going to take to stop all of this. Every day I am dumbfounded at all the stupid and dangerous things I see on the road that seem largely a part of inattention. I wonder what would happen if I was also the one not paying attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page