Remember whan I was feeding the kitties bottled water - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Remember whan I was feeding the kitties bottled water

And people were saying tap water is fine. Well our water is even more chunky style now.

I was about to buy a new dishwasher but somebody warned me to check some newspaper articles. This is what we get from the dishwasher. But the county tells us it's fine. Just some minerals. Seriously, its' good for you. So how do you fix this when this is what comes out of your dishwasher. Just wash your dishes again by hand in CLR. The county sees no problem to address.

Pinellas County: chalky dishes does NOT mean bad water quality | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com

""There is no impact on these types of minerals on a person's health."
As for the chalky residue?
"That would be calcium, magnesium, carbonates, maybe sulfates they are naturally in the water but they've been in the water ever since I've been here which is 1978 when I began as a water quality chemist here. I've been answering these kind of questions since 1978," said Powell.
Yet this is a first for the Carlson family who says, "Why two years ago was it not there and now it is?"......
"Experts suggest using CLR, LimeShine or vinegar to clean any dishes or appliances that show the chalky film."

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That's a shame! We had rotten egg water when we lived in another area. We were told that it was good for us, too. Well, who would want to drink it? It left everything rusty, and it smelled like its name.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The furry ones are back on bottled water starting tonight.

Its' lime calcium and Bunny knows what else. It can't be good on skin or clothes either.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Cool Cat

The water where I live (northern Utah) is like that. If you don't clean faucets DAILY, in just a couple weeks there's buildup of minerals. My kitchen sink faucet looks nearly like a coral reef, as I'm not the cleaning type.

When Paizly got urine crystals, the vet said to do bottled water. Luckily I can get a gallon of drinking water at Wal-Mart for about 80 cents. So I just get 2 of those, and that lasts all month.
I don't drink the tap water because #1 it tastes NASTY...and #2 I'm only 85 lbs, so I really need to drink stuff with calories (milk is my favorite, fruit juice second best...soda ever so often as a treat).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Dawn View Post
The water where I live (northern Utah) is like that. If you don't clean faucets DAILY, in just a couple weeks there's buildup of minerals. My kitchen sink faucet looks nearly like a coral reef, as I'm not the cleaning type.
You could put some fiish in there and use it as an aquarium!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Cool Cat

LOL!
Actually, I did start having cichlids in my tank, since they like hard water. I had tried to keep fish that like soft water (mostly from Brazil like tetras) and they kept dying.
Now I don't got any... in fact, wanting to sell my tank. 60 gallon with everything (filter, stand, decorations, even food and maintenance chemicals) for $250... anybody want it?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Premier Cat

The key to keeping Tetras alive is a VERY gradual acclimation to the tank. Don't give up; it's a great hobby!

And now, back to our program! How's your water? I mean tap water, of course.

Jeanie

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

You can get a water softener if the minerals bother you, or even a reverse osmosis filter if you wanna go fancy, but it is perfectly healthy.

The joke about bottled water is that people pay huge taxes to have some of the cleanest water on the planet from massively expensive and sophisticated water treatment plants, but then go and get bottled water which is almost ENTIRELY unregulated and if sold in the same state is not AT ALL regulated and is often equal or LESSER quality than municipal since it does not have to meet the same standards for public health when it isn't just tap water.

Bottled water that doesn't have the source as spring water IS municipal water. My girlfriend was drinking Aquafina for example, and kept arguing with me when I told her its tap water per Pepsi, ugh. It is so enormously inefficient and environmentally irresponsible to use so much oil per gallon of water (plastics and gas for distributing) and just adds to our landfills all thanks to millions of dollars in industry marketing to convince people that tap water is somehow dirty.

On my trips in Malaysia and Thailand and the like, absolutely, I drink bottled water. In the United States, Germany, and France though, no way. Its big business scam.

Please go to Youtube and search "Penn and Teller Truth about Bottled Water. I'd link, but Penn curses a bit heheh!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Dawn View Post
When Paizly got urine crystals, the vet said to do bottled water. Luckily I can get a gallon of drinking water at Wal-Mart for about 80 cents.
Walmart and Sam's Club use municipal water supplies for their bottling.

Water bottled for domestic sale is not regulated, and so Walmart is allowed to get away with using an equipment disinfectant that causes its water to exceed state guidelines for safe drinking water.

Check the EWGs water testing results for Walmart.... ouch!

Now if the vet said DISTILLED water, then nevermind as that makes sense.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Premier Cat

I've been telling my daughters this for years. Why anyone would pay a dollar for a bottle of New Jersey tap water is beyond me.

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page