Your Weekly O'Donnell - O'Donnell questions separation of church, state - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Your Weekly O'Donnell - O'Donnell questions separation of church, state

In honor of, well...someone.

washingtonpost.com

Coons said private and parochial schools are free to teach creationism but that "religious doctrine doesn't belong in our public schools."
"Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?" O'Donnell asked him.

"You actually audibly heard the crowd gasp," Widener University political scientist Wesley Leckrone said after the debate, adding that it raised questions about O'Donnell's grasp of the Constitution
"Talk about imposing your beliefs on the local schools," she said. "You've just proved how little you know not just about constitutional law but about the theory of evolution"

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Idiot.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
[quote=Dave_ph;699282
"Talk about imposing your beliefs on the local schools," she said. "You've just proved how little you know not just about constitutional law but about the theory of evolution"[/QUOTE]

You can't graduate from a high school without knowing about the theory of evolution. However, that does not rule out an intelligent creator. God is orderly.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden

Last edited by Jeanie; 10-22-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Banned

O'Donnell has a valid point. Strictly speaking, it's not in the Constitution at all, but in the Bill of Rights ... the first Ammendments to the Constitution. Although, I don't think that's what her thoughts were. I'm sure her thoughts were that the Constitution's original intent was to prevent the state from mandating a state-authorized religion, as was the case in Europe, and was the reason for many of the immigrants to the new country...to escape the persecution against their differences of belief with the state churches. The wording of the ammendment is fairly clear:
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
In other words Congress shall neither establish the religion, nor shall it prevent it. To put it another way, the original intent was to keep the government out of religion it was NOT to keep religion out of government. In fact, it was only in recent years that the Supreme Court extended the original meaning to go both ways, that not only should the government stay out of religion, but that religion also stays out of government. Quite recently, as a matter of fact ... the principal decision was as recently as 1948 and, believe it or not, the motto "In God We Trust" was still adopted as the official motto of the United States after that .... in 1956!! And even today Congress opens the session with prayer. There's a disconnect here somewhere.

I think that instead of regarding O'Donnell as ignorant, it might be more apt to regard her as politically insensitive; not a particularly good character trait for a politician; but on the other hand, might be a desirable trait in a person whose word you wish to trust. Depends what kind of a person you want running the country for you, I guess.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

She's an idiot. Every time she opens her mouth, it's more material for the late-night comedians.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Cat

Mark Twain once said it is better to keep your moth closed and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarendorf View Post
Mark Twain once said it is better to keep your moth closed and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt
I guess the late night comedians don't know Mark Twain.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatguy View Post
O'Donnell has a valid point. Strictly speaking, it's not in the Constitution at all, but in the Bill of Rights ... the first Ammendments to the Constitution. Although, I don't think that's what her thoughts were. I'm sure her thoughts were that the Constitution's original intent was to prevent the state from mandating a state-authorized religion, as was the case in Europe, and was the reason for many of the immigrants to the new country...to escape the persecution against their differences of belief with the state churches. The wording of the ammendment is fairly clear:
In other words Congress shall neither establish the religion, nor shall it prevent it. To put it another way, the original intent was to keep the government out of religion it was NOT to keep religion out of government. In fact, it was only in recent years that the Supreme Court extended the original meaning to go both ways, that not only should the government stay out of religion, but that religion also stays out of government. Quite recently, as a matter of fact ... the principal decision was as recently as 1948 and, believe it or not, the motto "In God We Trust" was still adopted as the official motto of the United States after that .... in 1956!! And even today Congress opens the session with prayer. There's a disconnect here somewhere.

I think that instead of regarding O'Donnell as ignorant, it might be more apt to regard her as politically insensitive; not a particularly good character trait for a politician; but on the other hand, might be a desirable trait in a person whose word you wish to trust. Depends what kind of a person you want running the country for you, I guess.
I'm proposing a new internet argument law to go with Goodwin's law. Under Goodwin's law if you make a comparison to Hitler you lose the argument automatically.

Under Dave_PH's law if you agree with Christine O'Donnel on anything you lose automatically.

P.S.

I'll agree with all the law school students who burst out laughing at her.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatguy View Post
Have you looked at her disproved claims to have attended Cambridge and a numer of other Universities? Her misuse of campaign funds?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph View Post
Under Dave_PH's law if you agree with Christine O'Donnel on anything you lose automatically.

I'll agree with all the law school students who burst out laughing at her.
I'm proposing a new law:

"If you agree with anything automatically, you lose automatically"

Under that law, pretty much all universities, pretty much all students, pretty much all professors, and for sure all law students, would lose automatically.

I shudder to think of the Supreme Court in 20 years. I'm thinking Al Franken will probably be Chief Justice of that court.

(John Stewart will be President, so I suppose it all fits a pattern I see)

Last edited by icatguy; 10-22-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page