Making vanilla extract! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Making vanilla extract!

Someone at work had mentioned that she made her own vanilla extract a couple of weeks ago and I've been reading all about it since. I'm so excited to start my own!

I ordered a TON (ok, almost a pound!) of vanilla beans on ebay for around $25, got a giant bottle of vodka for $15. (I also got a small bottle of rum and brandy to experiment with too).

I had 4 beans I had bought a couple of days before doing my search for inexpensive beans in bulk so I went ahead and started a batch for myself. The rest is going to be given as Christmas presents. Although you CAN use it after 6-8 weeks its best to wait a full 6 months before using. And it gets better with age

Should be getting my beans in a couple of days and will post pictures of the process!

For anyone interested this is the site I found most helpful!

VanillaReview.com Vanilla bean and extract tutorial. Spice gallery and reviews.

The last step is going to be finding bottles for all of the gift extracts. I found a couple of sites but shipping almost doubles the price (still under $1 per bottle). Any idea where I could look for amber glass bottles with lids? I'm not looking for anything fancy (except maybe for a couple of close friends or family members).

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Sorry, Jessie. I don't know where to find them.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

My extract is done! (well, at least the making it is done, now I have to wait for it to become extract)

My vanilla beans arrived this afternoon. I decided to double the amount I was making and bought another bottle of vodka. Split almost a pound of beans down the middle and cut a good bit in half as they wouldn't all fit in the bottle. Realized I probably made it with 2-3 times more beans than needed, but since it isn't going to be sitting as long as it should I figure it'll balance out.

I found some nice clear glass bottle with corks at Michael's for $1 each. They only had 5 of each, so I ordered 12 more of each to use as Christmas gifts.

I now have 3.5L of extract in the works. Also have various mini bottles of brandy, rum, and bourbon to try as well.

Doing the math:

(2) 1.75L bottles of vodka $25
1 lb vanilla beans $15

Total cost for 3.5L $50

At about 33 ounces per liter the cost comes to about $0.43 per ounce.

The bottles are 4oz. Add the cost of $1 per bottle and you've got a whopping total of under $3 for 4oz of home made vanilla extract. Add a pretty ribbon and I've got Christmas gifts!

Not to mention the fact that since these beans are only "extracting" for about 8 weeks rather than the full 6 months, I plan on straining the extract for gifts and adding more vodka to make another batch with the same beans. It may not come out as well, but its worth a try!

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Premier Cat

That was a very interesting website! I scrolled down and read about the homemade vanilla extract and it sounds like yours should be awesome. The one I read said it took a week. I'm not sure what you meant by saying 6mo. If you let it soak? age? longer it gets better? ...or do you mean you strain the extract and that ages and gets better?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Cat Addict

The longer you leave the beans in the more concentrated and better tasting the extract gets. My cousin had a bottle of the extract that she just left the beans in as she used it. It got better tasting and stronger all the time. So much better than that imitation vanilla crap. I think I'm going to make myself some actually because it is SOOO expensive otherwise. Also, I can guarantee it is gluten free!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I've read several different opinions. Some saying to use 3 beans per cup of alcohol, others 6, and this site recommends at least 8. Some say its good anywhere between 4 weeks and 6 months. I think the general idea is that its ok and probably pretty good after 6-8 weeks, but that to get the full flavor potential you should wait 6 months.

The big bottles that have TONS of beans are already quite dark. But I think the massive amounts of dark beans play into that a little bit. I have a small mason jar full I started with 4 beans and almost a full cup of vodka I started a few days before I got my big shipment of beans. It already smells amazing

Taking better pictures outside in the sun this afternoon and will post shortly after!

Jessie

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Picture time!

Take your ton o' vanilla beans...

Split in half (repeat 100 times)...

Stuff into a big jug...

Top off with vodka...

And that's it!

The smaller bottles are much easier to see the color change is it ages:

Day 1

Day 2

And look at the color in the big jug already!!

Jessie

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 02:29 AM
Premier Cat

Oh Bunny! I WANT! Your big jug looks AMAZING!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Cat Addict

So After reading this thread I am seriously considering this for next year's christmas presents!

The best part though was when I scrolled to the bottom guess what the add was?

"Buy Madagascar vanilla beans!" lol
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Premier Cat

Ha! That same ad is showing for me, too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page