Hachi..A Story About a Faithful Dog - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Hachi..A Story About a Faithful Dog

I had this movie recorded, and just watched it. I should have known better. It's a wonderful Hallmark movie, but I couldn't stop crying for the last half hour. It's based on a true story, and it's well worth watching, but keep the tissues handy.

Here's a preview:

HACHI: A DOG'S TALE: Movie Trailer - Video

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Premier Cat

I saw the trailer a little while ago, and I promised myself I must watch it when I have time. However, sometimes the only good thing about a movie is the trailer. So, it's good to know it is indeed worth watching. I shall make sure the Kleenex are handy!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
I'm still a bit disturbed that they took an event that happened in 1920s Japan, and they turned it into a modern day story in the US. I guess it makes it easier to relate to.

The movie coming out was a little scary, becase we all know what happens when a movie comes out featuring a specific breed. Suddenly, everyone wants one. And along with a ton of them showing up in shelters a year later... Akitas, more than most breeds, should not be owned by a lot of people. I did appreciate that they tried to make a point of stating IN the movie that Akitas are not normal dogs.

I've admired the breed and wanted one since I was (I believe) 12 or 13... I finally got mine almost three years ago from a shelter in Ohio. He's not exactly an ideal representative of the breed (in that he's neither dignified, reserved, nor quiet), but he's a show stopper when I take him out in public, at least...

It gives me the chance to inform people that I adopted this ohsohandsome animal from a shelter for $12 LOL and encourage them to look there next time (although if I get another Akita, it will be through a rescue with foster homes).

Hachi's story is a great one, especially because it's true. Last year, I bought my stepson "Hachiko Waits," a nice picture book about the real dog (and it takes place in Japan!) so that he could learn a little about where his dog comes from and why they are so revered in their native land.

Trivia fact: The first Akita to come to the United States was brought here by Helen Keller. He had been a gift from a Japanese official who knew of her fascination with Hachiko's story. The first puppy died at 7 months from distemper; a littermate was sent over to her, and he was her faithful companion the rest of his life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:27 AM
Cat

Akitas are renowned as the most loyal dogs. But they're not for everyone, as every breed.

I watched something on Animal Planet about Hachiko, and then I saw the preview for this and had to see it.

It's a good movie. Very touching.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Cool Cat

Ohh I know - I cried at that movie too -- it was sooo good but sad too.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Amber, at the end of the movie, the director informed the viewers that the story had really happened in Japan.

You're right. We relate better to our own culture. It was a great movie, and well worth watching. I'm sorry you disapprove, but I don't think you saw it.

Jeanie

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Amber, at the end of the movie, the director informed the viewers that the story had really happened in Japan.

You're right. We relate better to our own culture. It was a great movie, and well worth watching. I'm sorry you disapprove, but I don't think you saw it.
Why do you think that? I did see it. I certainly didn't suggest it was an abomidation I do know that when word of its making came out, many people in the Akita community were a bit upset to find we were going to be getting a modern day, Americanized version, but like I said, I kind of understand why.

Eight Below, a Disney movie about some Huskies and Malamutes left abandonned at an Antartic station, was actually based on a team of Japanese sled dogs, Karafuto-ken, which are a cousin of the Akita. It happens.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yes, and Japan has copied many American traditions, I'm sure. We all get ideas from other countries.

I don't know why Akita owners would get upset with this touching movie. The Akita has a bad reputation with some people, and this wonderful movie shows that they can also be faithful dogs. I'm realy puzzled, Amber, and disappointed. It was a beautiful movie, which I would have missed if it were a foreign film. I'm sure the Japanese people can (and might have) make their own version of their story.

"Lassie Come Home" was an American film about a Collie in Scotland. It's probably the reason I have always had a Collie.

This criticism puts a pall on a lovely film that touched my heart. What is the objection? I don't understand.

Was it wrong for us to make "War and Peace?" "Dr. Zhivago?" "Schindler's List?" "Mrs. Miniver?" (A film about WWll in England)

Jeanie

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Cat

I think you're making more of this than was ever intended. As I said, I never said it was an abomidation or a horrible movie. I didn't say Akita owners boycotted the movie or anything. It's just a tad disappointing when a national legend gets totally remade like that. There is at least one Japanese film about Hachiko.

I'm really upset with how seriously you're taking this. It was an off handed comment, and I never said anything regarding the quality of the film. I never even said American film-makers shouldn't make the movie. It's an amazing story and should be shared (why I bought my stepson the book). Hollywood makes period pieces all the time though, as well as movies that take place in foreign countries (incidentally, Lassie Come Home still took place in the UK, not New York City or Tokyo).

So, I'm sorry my saying I was "a bit" upset about the total revamping of this story was so upsetting. Whatever my issues with how they chose to tell the story, I would encourage anyone with the patience to watch it to do so, as I do feel strongly about how amazing this breed of dog is (though no self respecting Akita would likely have that strong of a bond with an owner who kep him in a garden shed, but hey, minor detail lol). Watch and enjoy, just don't get yourself your own little Hachiko without a ton of research

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I would not have known about this story if it weren't for the American version, and I doubt many others would have. I'm not a fan of foreign films, so I am grateful it was made. (Dubs and subtitles don't appeal to me.)

I have never had a dog other than a Collie, and I too was upset about the dog being kept in a shed. My Collies (three, at one time) slept in the house and spent their days running in a fenced in yard.

I had nothing but praise for the story. I thought this would be an upbeat thread. I don't understand why "many people in the Akita community people were a bit upset to find we were going to be getting a modern day, Americanized version......" The Akita breed was portrayed very favorably. (?)

By the way, I am half Scottish. I know that "Lassie Come Home" was made by MGM in Scotland. MGM is an American company, of course. It is one of the few films my British parents saw.

I don't understand, Amber, but you have a right to your opinion.

Jeanie

Last edited by Jeanie; 10-31-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page