James Herriots Animal stories - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

James Herriots Animal stories

Ive picked up James Harriot's stories of his veterinary practice in the 1930s to read while I'm away from home. I found a quote in one of his books in the series which I felt summed up what a lot of us who post on forums of our interests:
"the thought came back to me: that it was the greatest good fortune not only to be fascinated by animals but to know about them. Suddenly the knowing became a precious thing".

I know this is why a lot of die hard cat lovers post on this forum. Sharing is part of the joy. Its not an ego thing. Its a love for cats and how to help someone else to enrich their lives with their fur babies. To understand their cats in a deeper way.

I know there there has been bickering about techniques or ways to go about dealing with issues. But Ive found from my experience there is lots of ways that bring results we want. there is not just one way but many. I know what worked for me.

Ive coached my sister who isn't into it as deeply as me. But she does it the way she feels is right and she had gotten results that I couldn't achieve from my tried and true ways with many many fosters.

I just hope there is not a kinder, gentler response to those who see it differently (qualifying it ~if they aren't hurting a cat by their actions)

The book tells how they treat animals in the 1930s before antibiotic and the advances we have to day. James Harriot's love of his profession shines thru in the books and written in such a humorous way. Its a grand series to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Cat

I loved James Herriot's books when I was a kid. The stories still stay with me - the woman with the dog that would go "flop-bot" and "cracker dog", the dog with the flatulence problem that was adopted by the old man with no sense of smell... He really had a way of telling stories.

I need to read some of those books again. Thanks for reminding me.

Did you ever see the British show that was based on his books?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Unfortunately no. It was at a time when I had a toddler and tv was a treat rarely gotten! I would love to see the old episodes. Maybe netflick has them?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Cat Addict

I loved that series...there are lots of clips on youtube
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Premier Cat

the woman with the dog that would go "flop-bot" and "cracker dog"...

That would be Mrs. Pumphrey and her Pomeranian, Tricki-Woo.

the dog with the flatulence problem that was adopted by the old man with no sense of smell...

That would be Cedric the Boxer, I don't recall the gardener's name.

I *love* James Herriot. I believe it was he who made me appreciate large 300+ page books when I was in 5th or 6th grade, the longer the better for more entertainment! I've read and re-read his series' so many times I only have to read the first sentence of a chapter to tell you about the story contained within. As evidenced above, I am surprised at how well I remember the names of the people and animals. I have probably read his books 20x each.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q View Post

the dog with the flatulence problem that was adopted by the old man with no sense of smell...

Wow. You really know your James Herriot stories. If you're ever on Jeopardy, I hope that's one of the categories.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I cant believe you still remember those! The one that made me cry the about the cow Blossom. I still get teary thinking of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q View Post

I *love* James Herriot. I believe it was he who made me appreciate large 300+ page books when I was in 5th or 6th grade, the longer the better for more entertainment! I've read and re-read his series' so many times I only have to read the first sentence of a chapter to tell you about the story contained within. As evidenced above, I am surprised at how well I remember the names of the people and animals. I have probably read his books 20x each.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Cool Cat

I love his books!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Premier Cat

Was Blossom the cow that had to go because she was not a productive milker and kept breaking free and coming back home to her stall in the barn?
Or the cow that kept hiding her calf in the reeds because she didn't want him taken away?
My fave cow story was the young heifer who had a 'circling disease' and her owner had to "lets see how she gets on, then". She recovered, the only indication of her illness was a slight eye-twitch and quick-tilt of her head in a 'come hither' motion. When he was showing her at a local fair the judge had narrowed it down to three heifers and she did the little 'come hither' twitch and it startled the judge. He ended up pinning her the winner and went to the beer tent because 'the heifer reminded him of a lady he used to know'.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Banned

Lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page