Flower question! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Flower question!

Ever since we moved here, it's very hard to get flowers to blossom, and even when we do, the blossoms are small, as well as very few. Even lilacs. I have some next to the house that are just not doing well. They are green, and look healthy, but minimal blossoms on the older plants, and none yet on the ones planted when we moved here.

Also, my bleeding heart, which usually bloomed till after frost, and got really bushy back at the old house, only grows half as tall here. It's usually dead by mid fall. The only thing that has thrived is lilies.

We have terrible water here, with a good deal of calcium in it. We started to save rain water in the summer for watering plants, but that didn't make any difference, so I can only assume it's our soil???

I also have a peace plant from my grandmas funeral in the house, and a Christmas cactus. Both have blossomed only 1x in the 3 years we've been in this new house. These two get bottled water. I do have a violet plant in the same window as these other two, and the violet thrives, and flowers practically year round!

HELP!!!!!!!! What could be the problem?

Last edited by OwnedByACat; 11-09-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Cat Addict

I would test the water. It could be that the PH or some other thing in the water isn't good for most of your plants.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Premier Cat

Don't pick your lilacs, as they bloom on old wood, and don't fertilize them either. That goes for lilies as well. Takes some years for lilacs to get established before blooming, so wouldn't give up on them yet. Have pH of your soil checked.
Your Bleeding Heart could be an older variety. My BH's only bloom in the spring and that's it.
Christmas Cactus needs a cooler room than most people have, needs bright light, but a rest period beforehand of 6 wks. before buds form. Here's a link: Christmas Cactus Flower | The Flower Expert - Flowers Encyclopedia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for the replies thus far!! We usually don't pick the lilacs, or the lilies for that matter. We just enjoy them out in the yard. My bleeding heart has always gotten quite thick and bushy, and blossomed pretty much through summer, till after 1st couple frosts. It just hates it here I think. I don't think it's a matter of light, because I've seen this planted in both full sun, and part shade, and it's done great in both. It's a transplant from my grandmas home.

We have a water softener so I know that our water is quite hard, but I've always wondered if softened water is good for the plants, so I never use it to water. I also know that we have a slightly acidic water as well........I think they said 6?? I could be wrong. It's not real bad though, but enough to be troublesome. We had a neutralizer for a while, and when I was watering my cactus with neutralized water, that is the ONLY year that it blossomed! We had to take out the neutralizer though because I had trouble with the chemicals they use, it was to harsh on my skin.

Thank you for the link!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Geri, lilacs prefer a sweet soil, so I would add some lime to the soil. And I would add some organic material to your soil, perhaps aged manure and peat moss...to improve the texture. Most plants like the soil slightly on the acid side. I hope that helps! My heart would break if my flowers didn't do well!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page