I hate perfumes, dyes.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I hate perfumes, dyes....

....and any cleaning or body/hair product that's not natural. They make me break out in an intensely itchy, red rash. Even if I don't use it. But if your clothes were washed in Tide or Gain and we hug or touch, I'm gonna break out. If I enter your house and you have something like Glade plug-ins and use cleaners that have synthetic fragrance or dyes, I'm going to break out. I wish they were banned. The end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Premier Cat

I'm right there with you! I don't break out, but my skin has become so dry, and my hair is too. For me I think it's sulfates in soaps, and I can't seem to find anything that works. All natural shampoos strip my hair. I've had "some" success with Giovani shampoos........some. Lotions don't help! I've been using Cetaphyl bar soap in the shower, and the liquid for hand soap, but have you seen the ingredients list? It's not much better! But it isn't AS harsh on my skin as soaps with sulfates. SO frustrating!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Count me in too. Other people's air fresheners and perfumes make me sneeze and sneeze and sneeze some more. And I sneeze in multiples...minimum of three up to six without taking a breath. And I may do 2-3 rounds in a row. And my eyes and nose run. Just standing next to someone who's wearing perfume can set me off. I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty blunt about it with people...when I start sneezing people tend to stop and watch, it can be quite a spectacle. If someone makes a comment about me being allergic to something, I have no hesitation about saying "yeah, your perfume".

It has been way better since I switched from Claritan to Zyrtec though. I do have to use hypoallergenic laundry detergent and body wash otherwise I get blotchy and itchy. A couple months ago I couldn't find the body wash I use anywhere and had to get something different. At the same time I had been taking a break from the meds. I got really itchy, when I started the Zyrtec again I found it helped the itchies too. Finally found the body wash and bought 8 bottles. Don't want to deal with that again for a looooooong time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Cat Addict

I guess there's a lot of people with this issue! Count me in, too.

I used to be able to wear perfume and use ordinary laundry soap and such. Not any more...All of us in the family have gotten pretty sensitive over time. The "no" list includes sodium laurel sulfate, synthetic fragrances, tap water with too much chlorine, perfume, scented candles, Windex, those sheets for the dryer, etc. etc.

Luckily, we seem to be fine with most naturally-sourced fragrances (lavender, mint, thyme etc.) and natural oils. Thank goodness for Trader Joes - most of their products work for us and are affordable...

Fran
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat View Post
I'm right there with you! I don't break out, but my skin has become so dry, and my hair is too. For me I think it's sulfates in soaps, and I can't seem to find anything that works. All natural shampoos strip my hair. I've had "some" success with Giovani shampoos........some. Lotions don't help! I've been using Cetaphyl bar soap in the shower, and the liquid for hand soap, but have you seen the ingredients list? It's not much better! But it isn't AS harsh on my skin as soaps with sulfates. SO frustrating!
Have you tried Castile soap for shampoo, body wash and hand soap? That works really well for my family and me. You do need to follow up with an acidic rinse for your hair though, as castile soap is alkaline. My mom and I have incredibly dry skin, so I add a little bit of glycerin and coconut oil to the castile soap. I'm using the castile soap as hand soap too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Count me in too. Other people's air fresheners and perfumes make me sneeze and sneeze and sneeze some more. And I sneeze in multiples...minimum of three up to six without taking a breath. And I may do 2-3 rounds in a row. And my eyes and nose run. Just standing next to someone who's wearing perfume can set me off. I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty blunt about it with people...when I start sneezing people tend to stop and watch, it can be quite a spectacle. If someone makes a comment about me being allergic to something, I have no hesitation about saying "yeah, your perfume".

It has been way better since I switched from Claritan to Zyrtec though. I do have to use hypoallergenic laundry detergent and body wash otherwise I get blotchy and itchy. A couple months ago I couldn't find the body wash I use anywhere and had to get something different. At the same time I had been taking a break from the meds. I got really itchy, when I started the Zyrtec again I found it helped the itchies too. Finally found the body wash and bought 8 bottles. Don't want to deal with that again for a looooooong time.
Tell me about it! I've been around some people who I swear bathe in their perfume. One time about ten minutes after being around someone who was wearing perfume I had a rash all over and I felt like I was absolutely burning up with a fever, but my temp. was normal.

I'm now making my own laundry detergent too. Even the All Free and Clear detergent starting making me break out. Not as bad as with a scented or dyed product, but still.

I forget, is Zyrtec prescription only? I've been taking Benedryl, but it makes me very drowsy. If I take it before bedtime I wake up feeling like a dead weight and my head feels strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
I guess there's a lot of people with this issue! Count me in, too.

I used to be able to wear perfume and use ordinary laundry soap and such. Not any more...All of us in the family have gotten pretty sensitive over time. The "no" list includes sodium laurel sulfate, synthetic fragrances, tap water with too much chlorine, perfume, scented candles, Windex, those sheets for the dryer, etc. etc.

Luckily, we seem to be fine with most naturally-sourced fragrances (lavender, mint, thyme etc.) and natural oils. Thank goodness for Trader Joes - most of their products work for us and are affordable...

Fran

I so wish I had a Trader Joes! The closest one is an hour and a half away. I have to order on Vitacost or Amazon or wherever I can find stuff the cheapest. Last order for EOs and carrier oils we placed with Mountain Rose Herbs. They are reasonably priced for organic oils. I know if it wasn't organic it would be cheaper but I have found that some oils I break out to if they aren't organic. *sigh* Just adding one more complicated thing to my list of what to look for. For instance, I will break out if I use coconut oil that is not organic. But with organic coconut oil I'm perfectly fine.

Ya know, even some "natural" stuff we have to be careful with. My mom purchased Burt's Bees baby wash for my little brother and he broke out horribly after the first use and it made his skin really dry and scaly feeling. I'm not sure what was in it that caused it, but after switching to castile soap he cleared up.

Last edited by NinjaCat; 11-10-2010 at 02:14 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Cat

I am not allergic to any chemicals, but I still prefer to use more natural stuff. My face is very sensitive and the only wash I've found that doesn't cause break outs or dryness/flakiness is Alba Botanica. I like their deodorant too as I'm totally paranoid about aluminum and paraben in regular deodorants. In fact, their shampoo and conditioner work pretty well for me also. Totally agree about people with perfume. I like to use some myself sometimes, but people don't realize that all you need is a tiny dab behind your ear. It's supposed to be just a hint of a scent, not a powerful smell!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Cat Addict

I only use all natural oils for purfumes and home fragrances because fake fragrances mess with my asthma.

As for shampoo, I never use it. Instead I do a baking soda wash with a vinegar rinse (If you want to try this search it on google). The baking soda cleans and the vinegar rinse conditions. My hair is so much softer and much healthier, and I have no dandruff anymore.

I also use Shaklee's laundry detergent. No dyes or scents or harsh cleansers.

I once had a boyfriend who INSISTED on using Axe body wash and cologne. Needless to say, he got dumped.

Last edited by raecarrow; 11-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Premier Cat

NinjaCat.......I have never heard of that soap, and I have searched for all kinds on-line! Would you mind telling me exactly what you do for your shampoo, and what you rinse with. Also, how much glycerin and coconut oil you add to what amount of soap?

I see on Amazon they have a bar type also, have you ever tried that?

I'm also curious how similar this would be to a goats milk soap with olive oil in it? It's supposedly all natural, and non-drying. I found a bar way back in the cabinet today, and tried it. Even that made me feel stripped, so there must be something in it that would dry the skin.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat View Post
NinjaCat.......I have never heard of that soap, and I have searched for all kinds on-line! Would you mind telling me exactly what you do for your shampoo, and what you rinse with. Also, how much glycerin and coconut oil you add to what amount of soap?

I see on Amazon they have a bar type also, have you ever tried that?

I'm also curious how similar this would be to a goats milk soap with olive oil in it? It's supposedly all natural, and non-drying. I found a bar way back in the cabinet today, and tried it. Even that made me feel stripped, so there must be something in it that would dry the skin.

The kind I use is Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap, but there are a lot of different brands. For shampoo I dilute about a tablespoon of castile soap with 2 cups of water. When I use it I squirt some into the palm of my hand and rub vigorously to produce a lather and then massage it into my scalp and through my hair. There are a couple of different things you can use for an acidic rinse. One is an ACV rinse (apple cider vinegar rinse), which is one tablespoon ACV to one cup of water. The other is a citric acid rinse, which I prefer because ACV smells bad. Citric acid rinse is 1/4 teaspoon citric acid to one cup water. For either rinse you pour it over your hair, leave it on for about a minute or two and rinse.
For body wash I, again, dilute one tablespoon of castile soap in 2 cups of water. I add one teaspoon glycerin and 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil and shake it vigorously. I haven't ever tried the castile bar soap, but I imagine it would work much the same. So if you prefer bar soap or can't find the liquid kind, go ahead and try it.

I do know that some people don't like castile soap. They say it's too drying. If that's the case though, they probably aren't diluting it enough. So if you decide to try it and you find it drying, try diluting it a little more.

I have tried a goat's milk soap before but I broke out and it made my skin feel kind of dry. It was supposed to be natural. I think there was a particular ingredient that really wasn't natural that may have caused the breakout.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by raecarrow View Post
I only use all natural oils for purfumes and home fragrances because fake fragrances mess with my asthma.

As for shampoo, I never use it. Instead I do a baking soda wash with a vinegar rinse (If you want to try this search it on google). The baking soda cleans and the vinegar rinse conditions. My hair is so much softer and much healthier, and I have no dandruff anymore.

I also use Shaklee's laundry detergent. No dyes or scents or harsh cleansers.

I once had a boyfriend who INSISTED on using Axe body wash and cologne. Needless to say, he got dumped.
Yuck! Axe is the worst. My brother insists on Axe deodorant. It's one of the few things that I don't break out around. Fortunately. But I still hate the smell.

I faithfully tried the baking soda wash with vinegar rinses and it didn't work out for me. It left my hair dry and dull every time. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong or what.

I don't mind making the detergent. It's cheap and the ingredients are easy to find. It originally called for Borax in it, but I didn't want to use it as I have reacted to it before. Recipe below.

1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda
1 bar grated castile soap

Combine in a jar with lid and shake. Use one tablespoon per full load of laundry. You could add a couple drops of essential oil per load if you want scented laundry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page