This is what technology has done to young people... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

This is what technology has done to young people...

I guess this is my generation, but sheesh!

If the Science Guy passes out and nobody tweets it, did it happen? - Yahoo! News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Both stories are disturbing.

Taking pictures of a dying man? Disgusting.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Cool Cat

This just happend to me on the way to lunch. A girl was coming in as I was going through the door and as people use to do, I politely smiled mentioned something about the wind. She walked right by me not only did she not respond she never even looked. I was so surprised at being completly ignored I said excuse me I just spoke to you, she looked back at me and said very sheepishly that she thought I was talking to someone on a phone. Now I'm embarrassed.
I keep forgetting that when someone is walking around yaking they are not necessasarily talking to themselves.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Cat Addict

When I was a cashier (more than 3-4 years ago) I HATED it when people would walk up to the counter while gabbing on their bluetooth headsets. For goodness sake, where are your manners? The odd thing... I was 21-22 at the time. These people were usually in their late 30s-40s.

Another thing, I'm 65% deaf so it would confuse the heck out of me. I lip read and so these people would be staring right at me but be talking to the person on the headset.

Again.... where are these peoples' manners?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot View Post
I keep forgetting that when someone is walking around yaking they are not necessasarily talking to themselves.
So true!

I hate it when I try to hang out with my friends & they are all on their phones checking social networking sites, texting, etc. I mean, I enjoy phones, the internet, and social networking too, but I also still value talking to someone face to face! Plus, it's just plain rude
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

It annoys me when people think the person who is texting/ringing is more important/interesting than me sitting trying to talk to them.
Fortunately, at work I can tell people to go outside when they come in on the phone. Sometimes it's tutors who should know better.

One guy was persistently doing it the other morning, talking loudly to some other idiot. 1st time I asked nicely, no response, not even a glance. 2nd time I asked louder and less politely and I got a sideways glance and a nod, but the conversation carried on. 3rd time I asked for his ID, he hung up then, and cooperated. I reported him anyway.
He will get a letter from his tutor.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I was riding down in the elevator a few years ago, talking to a co-worker, and when we stepped out, the woman who was with us said, very loudly, on her phone, "Sorry, I couldn't hear you. Someone was talking in the elevator during our conversation" and she gave me a dirty look.

I said something to her I can't repeat here. I mean, seriously, I was the one being rude?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
The first post was shocking and unforgivable. It's so very sad that human life is taken so lightly.

My son was taking phone calls last Christmas while we were all opening gifts. You can be sure he heard about it! It's so very rude. He didn't make the calls, but I think he should have told the caller that it was a bad time to have a conversation.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned

Think about this for a moment.

There is a guy at a controlled organized event that collapses on stage.

Does the author REALLY think it would be a great idea for all hundred plus students to take it upon themselves to call 911 simultaneously or to have hundreds of people rushing from their seats to help one person? There is a word for that, it starts with "cluster" and ends with something that can't be repeated in polite company.

And if they don't, its indifference? I'm glad that the students had the brains to stay seated. And sharing information with the world with silent texts about an issue that is being handled is hardly rude.

Only if it were obvious after a reasonable amount of time that event organizers weren't handling the matter, which I am sure they did, should a FEW people in the first row get up and take charge of the situation.

Too much right brain emo action and not enough left brain analysis of the logistics of it all.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
In my experience, many people freeze and do nothing. A small child in our group of about 20 got burned with scalding coffee. I immediately said, "Cold water, quick!" and her father rushed her to the kitchen, and I went with him. I was the only one to speak up immediately. Sometimes being a mother and a teacher comes in handy.

There was no permanent damage to the child's hand.

Another time, my two sons, one ten and one a sixteen year old, 6'4" weight lifter went to the movies. The ten year old began to choke on popcorn. I did the Heimlich maneuver and threw him into my other son's arms, and said, "Get him some help!" But the younger boy was breathing by then. He was too heavy for me, but I was able to throw him. Adrenalin, I guess.

"Why didn't you do something?," I asked my older boy. "Because you were too fast," he replied. In an emergency, time is of the essence.

Often people wait, hoping someone else will take action. And sometimes, it's too late.

I doubt the people in the audience you spoke of were sitting there reasoning that there were event organizers who would handle the matter. You can't sit on your duff and depend on others. If there's an expert there, they'll soon tell you matters are under control, and you can return to your seat. No harm done. Don't be an observer; do something!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden

Last edited by Jeanie; 11-17-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page