Hooter's security smacks around Granny. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Hooter's security smacks around Granny.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40254301#40254301

The video shows the off-duty officer chest bumping, pushing, and finally beating the grandmother @ Hooters.... The woman was arrested and placed in jail for 100 days.

OAK LAWN, Ill. — A controversial video showing an alleged beating of a Chicago grandmother at an Oak Lawn Hooters restaurant has led to a civil lawsuit.

The woman was sentenced to 100 days in jail for her part in the incident.

The video, caught on a security camera last January, shows a dispute getting overheated between a customer and a restaurant security officer, identified in the lawsuit as Joseph Schmidt, an Oak Lawn police officer who was working at Hooters as private security guard. The woman, 47-year old Livier Torres, had just finished eating lunch at the restaurant with her daughter and a family friend.

The video shows Torres talking to two waitresses for a couple minutes and then a manager until she throws her credit card and bill on the counter. Moments later a security guard, an off-duty Oak Lawn police officer, appears to approach and bump the woman with his arms crossed.

At that point, the woman's daughter tries to separate the two, first facing her mother, then Schmidt. After obvious pushing and shoving with words exchanged, Schmidt appears to grab or slap Torres by her neck or side of the face. He then appears to subdue Torres after putting her in a headlock and bringing her to the floor, just out of the security camera's range.

At the same time many of the restaurant's patrons rush to the scene of the commotion, some shouting, others recording the moment on their cell phones. It's about 8 minutes then until police arrived and arrested Torres.

The lawsuit alleges that Schmidt physically attacked Torres by grabbing and choking her, then throwing her to the ground where he "continued to kick and stomp her while on the floor, even when other patrons objected to his actions."

The lawsuit seeks $280,000 for punitive and compensatory damages. It stated that Torres sufferered serious personal injuries that would continue to plague her in the future.

Torres' son, Michael, told WGN-TV her mother was sentenced to 100 days in jail for the incident after being charged with assault, and is being housed at the maximum security wing of women's division at Cook County jail.

"When I saw him approach her with his elbows out trying lean up against her. If I was there, I would have said, 'Hey, why are you leaning against her?' That shows right there he was trying to start something," he said.

Torres conceded his mother was angry, and that the three shared a pitcher of beer while at the restaurant.

"She's not one to hold back her feelings," he said.

Shari

Last edited by reprot; 11-18-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Is this article too long or does no one have an opinion?

Shari
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

The right thing to do is to punish them both.

$280K is also absolutely rediculous. Only in America.

And NO ONE should benefit from this, especially at tax payer expense, as the tax payer is not the one that is at fault.

The officer should get suspension without pay for a month, undergo mandatory anger management class, and have it put on his permanent record.
If he does it again, he should lose his job.

The woman also handled the issue wrong and to reward that with a quarter of am million dollar lottery ticket is asinine. She pushed an officer of the law and was clearly verbally abusive. Even more may have taken place, as they cut much of the footage out as the media usually does to sensationalize things.

Any REASONABLE medical bills should be covered, and thats it, and she should be hit with disorderly conduct and assault of an officer.

Last edited by Ducman69; 11-18-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Jr. Cat

An off-duty police officer who was working there as a private security guard is not an officer of the law. But I do hope someone takes a closer look at the way he handles himself when he IS working as a police officer.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty View Post
Why is a grandmother going to Hooters???

You think 47 is old? Good grief! You'll be there before you know it! We all do! She's not a little old "granny."

The security guard should be suspended from the police department. I wonder what happens when there are no witnesses?

My son-in-law is a police officer, and I respect the profession, but there are bad apples in every barrel.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden

Last edited by Jeanie; 11-19-2010 at 09:37 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Banned

I was always told that a cop is a cop, whether on or off the clock, once he identifies himself as such. I know of off-duty cops pulling people over and even responding to and shooting armed suspects.

I assume that at some point he did, and he was wearing a big POLICE shirt. Son mentioned to her that it was an off-duty cop doing security.

Not positive on that though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Jr. Cat

I have not been able to view the video yet, so my comment above was based only on the written article in the original post. If the officer clearly identified himself as a police officer, then the woman was in the wrong. Still, as a security officer myself, I find it a bit sketchy that an off-duty police officer working as a security guard would wear a shirt that says POLICE on it. His shirt could (should) say SECURITY in big letters, but "POLICE" while being paid by Hooters seems way out of line. Maybe that's just me...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I thought the security guard was very belligerent.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page