Fios :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Fios :(

I ordered the $99 Triple Play, Fios phone with caller ID, three way calling, answering machine, many spots for memory dial, and no long distance charges, the internet, and the TV. Then I bought a phone which could handle all of those features. The main thing I wanted was to get rid of Dish Network, which broke my contract for a year and raised prices. With Fios, I was dealing with Verizon, a company I believe to be ethical.

Well, they probably are, but their salespeople aren't. There is NO Fios TV in this area, as the installers told me. They told me the salespeople tell people there is, hoping they will accept just the phone and internet. They work on commission, and they just plain lie! I am furious!

I called the PUC, and am now part of a class action suit against the company. I believe Verizon is honest, but don't believe the salesperson. Double check, if you decide to get Fios TV. I wish I had been forewarned!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Premier Cat

Terrible, Jeanie!!! I never heard of this though, I had to look it up. I can't believe they told you right out what the sales people are doing, and yet, they are still allowed to be in business.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

The internet and the TV both use the same fiberoptic cable. So I'm guessing what that means is that you're not even getting fiber for the internet.

They usually farm out that first level customer service to India as they'll happily work for $300 a month, so you can't expect much. It could have been simple incompetence rather than intentional deception. If I were Verizon, I would also immediately fire the on-site contractor for badmouthing his own company.

Best bet for future reference is to use online tools, much more reliable than people:
Verizon | FiOS Digital TV and High-Speed Internet Features

Use the "check availability" link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

The young people who came have encountered this before are just sick of it. It is not Verizon's policy to lie; it is the commissioned salespeople, who should be fired. The installers said they encounter this often.

I have Verizon high speed internet and phone, but not Fios. I think it's a good company, and I told the PUC that. It was a Verizon employee who told me that they were told to tell the customer to call the PUC.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jeanie; 11-21-2010 at 07:14 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

That site says they cannot answer my question, that I have to call the company.

I think I know what might have happened. We live in an adjacent county to Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), and have the same area code as the most popular shopping area in that county. We're about a mile from the county border.

Verizon does not have permission to use Fios in this township, and will not.... until a neighboring township gives permission. That could be six months, a year. The installers had no idea. That's understandable.

As for the salespeople in India...I think almost every company uses them. I am really tired of saying, "I'm sorry. I did not understand what you said." I don't like hurting their feelings, and I applaud them for their ability to learn English, one of the most irregular languages, but sometimes the accent is very hard to understand.

Jeanie

Last edited by Jeanie; 11-21-2010 at 07:28 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Your neighborhood may simply not be wired for fiber.

If its not, then the only options are coax and telephone wires.

Verizon I believe if fiber isn't available is just using dinky little copper telephone wires, and they can't handle more than medium internet speeds and telephone, so thats all they can offer.

The really fast internet and TV package needs the high-speed fiber-optic cable.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
It is not Verizon's policy to lie; it is the commissioned salespeople, who should be fired. The installers said they encounter this often.
The face of a company is the people who represent it to the public and their customers and their potential customers. If this is a common problem among the people you mention then it is not a company that has any interest in ethics, or they would not tolerate it among the people who are their representatives.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Cat

One of the happiest days of my life was the day I finally got the last little bit of Verizon out of my life. As icatguy said, Verizon is the people who work for them. The sleaze is far too pervasive to claim "we didn't know." They are a very sleazy company.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Premier Cat

The thing I would warn about Fios is that whatever the monthly quoted rate they give you, double it.

I signed up when they were offering the $99 a month plan for phone, TV, and Internet. This month's bill? $170.00. They forgot to mention that every additional box in your house is something like $6 a month, and other charges and taxes they add on, plus whatever long distance phone calls you make, and boom it's $170.00.

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Cat Addict

What would Ron Paul say?

Caveat emptor

The PUC shouldn't exist and you've just joined a nuisence lawsuit.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page