Any other vegetarian/vegans on this forum? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Any other vegetarian/vegans on this forum?

This was my first Thanksgving as a vegan, though I've been a strict vegetarian for 40 years.

With all the emphasis on food...well, I have to admit it was kind of strange. My brother's in-laws hosted Thanksgiving dinner in their new house, and it was a terrific spread - big roast turkey, all the trimmings.
Last year, when I still did a little cheese, I could have managed, but this year I was limited to salad, corn and marinated mushrooms.
Not that I didn't enjoy it; I did, and I did tell the hosts about my new diet ahead of time, downplaying everything and reassuring them I would have plenty to eat in the vegetable dept.

Thanksgiving is about tradition, and I was just out of step with it all. This was my choice, so I'm not complaining.

I had to leave the festivities a bit early to get to work. I picked up some Chinese on the way; I was really hungry.

Any other vegans here? I think the only really awkward moments were provided by my Mom, who urged me to eat some mashed potatoes and some riccota-stuffed shells - loudly enough for everyone to hear...

Why am I a vegan? I love animals, I don't eat them. And I try not to exploit them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Premier Cat

My adult daughter was a vegetarian for about five years, moved to vegan for about four years, and has now been back to vegetarian for about five years. In contrast, my adult son is a definite meat-and-potatoes kinda guy! So, I compromise at Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. We always do turkey and all the trimmings. But, we also make a small tofurkey (tofu turkey). My daughter makes her own gravy and stuffing with no meat products. When she was vegan, we would make the mashed potatoes and veggies without dairy products (using spices and a non-dairy margerine). I imagine that sort of arrangement would be difficult if you were going to a non-family dinner, but if you have dinner at your Mom's or another family member, you could suggest a compromise approach.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

I'm not a vegan but I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years. I've eaten organic meat, game and some fish (however most vegetarian) the last 3-4 years but I'm thinking about dropping the meat again.

I've always had a supportive family so there's always been great vegetarian foods on the dinner table during the "meat holidays".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Premier Cat

Im a vegetarian. My son and his fiance are vegetarians also. He does duatholon, mountain biking and backpacking.

Its hard to go out to eat but it is getting better. My friends freak when they invite me for dinner.. I wish they wouldnt make a big thing out of it.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Jr. Cat

I have been vegetarian for more than 20 years, and vegan for long stretches during that time. I had a hard time shaking the cheese! But I think this time I have finally done it. My big problem during Thanksgivings with my family is one brother who just feels the need to argue with EVERYTHING. I have a hard time taking nutritional "advice" from a younger sibling who is now diabetic AND suffers from a broad range of diet-related health problems that I do not have. I have given up even trying with him. This year he asked me if he had to sign a consent form before he carved up the dead bird. I had to repress the urge to suggest he sign a hospital admission form, since doing so would save him some time later. But I just walked away, and gave my tofurkey (in a crock pot) another stir.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Cool Cat

I've been an extremely picky eater all my life, so when I went vegetarian, I became the dinner guest from you-know-where. If people worry about what I'll eat, I say that if there's bread, I'll be fine. Actually, they know that if there are a few "beige foods", there's a good chance I can fill up. Got carbs???

I'd love to go vegan, but I'd starve to death.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Cool Cat

The only reason I'm classified as an omnivore, is because I do like a lot of fruits and vegetables... but I also love meat!
I understand that some animals are treated badly, so when I do buy meat, I try to do farm-raised or free-roaming kinds. For instance, I love lamb, so I try to get any labeled as something like "pasture finished".
95% of fish I eat, I catch myself in local waters. I'll buy salmon in the store ever so often, usually in winter (I hate ice fishing...too cold!). Oh, and I have to buy shellfish... Salt Lake only has brine shrimp, and I don't think they count as seafood! LOL

I really need to remind my sister to keep the little bag of "stuff" from the turkey. She threw it away AGAIN this year! I love the hearts and liver of poultry (and land animals, actually).
She said "it looked gross"... and I told her "but it tastes wonderful!" LOL She's not vegan/vegetarian, just squeamish. She doesn't fish, either!
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Banned

Simply put, you wouldn't be what you are today if your forefathers didn't hunt and consume flesh and break open scavenged bones for nutritious marrow that provided the fuel and need to outpace brain growth beyond other hominids. Thats the consensus for those in the scientific community at least that study hominids.

Herbivores eat plants, carnivores eat meat, omnivores (what humans are classified as) evolved to consume both, so IMO its just being true to what you are which is no more "immoral" than a lion taking down a gazelle.

I know there are some that even feed their cats vegetarian diets though to fit their beliefs, but its all just part of the cycle of life.

I do believe in humane treatment though, and do free-roam eggs and free-range chicken. I can't afford free-range grass fed beef though, but I don't consume much red meat.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Banned

free-roam eggs?

Believe me, if you see an egg running away, the last thing you want to do is eat it.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

I killed a free-roam carrot once. Just to watch it die.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page