Need a triumph over tragedy book. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Need a triumph over tragedy book.

As I mentioned on another thread my 21y/o neice was in a very bad accident the end of September. Although E miraculously came out of her coma and is not a quadrapelegic as diagnosed, she will be in the hospital then therapy for a long time. I have googled books of inspiration but haven't found anything directed to a young woman. Anyone with input?

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Premier Cat

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Cat

There's a movie and book that's based on a true story titled Peaceful Warrior. It's about a young man, but it is a very inspiring story about overcoming injury.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

It's kind of old, but The Other Side of the Mountain was a wonderful, inspiring movie, I'm sure the book is great, too.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Cat Addict

It's not a book, but a short(er), inspirational read can be found at Courtney King Dressage

Courtney King Dye, 2008 Olympian and winner of countless medals in dressage competition, suffered a freak accident in March 2010 while schooling a horse. He tripped, she fell, and that was it. She spent weeks in a coma, the result of a traumatic brain injury. She's now walking with assistance, riding in therapy sessions each week, and it's so touching to read her blog updates. How much she loves riding, starting all over again. It's equal parts heartbreaking and inspiring.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Cat Addict

Although not specifically directed to young women, Christopher Reeve wrote some excellent books about life after his accident. Very upbeat.

Amazon.com: Christopher Reeve: Books

Sue

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Premier Cat

I really loved the book by Lance Armstrong Its Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

I only know of one other (apart from Lance Armstrong). The world famous racing driver Alex Zanardi. He was one of the most popular and fastest drivers around when he lost both his legs above the knee in a horrific crash in Germany. He fought back and even won races again. He went on to drive a specially modified Touring Car, and even an F1 car. Amazing chap. A real inspiration.

Zanardi, Alex (2004). Alex Zanardi: My Story. City: Haynes Publishing. ISBN:184425108X.

Last edited by Huge; 11-30-2010 at 07:31 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I'm looking into every one of your books. Thank you all. Went to see E last night after work. See looks so little in that bed. Of course she has the traec making it difficult to communicate. She mouthed that she is scared and in pain, pain, pain or it hurts so much. E will probably get a cap on the traec by the end of the week making it a little easier to speak.
Please pray for my little dumpling.

Shari
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

Sounds awful. Whilst I've had more than my fair share of hospitals, I've not been in that kind of situation before.

I HAVE been in pain and not been able to move for a couple of days, and that was **** for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page