Keep my house warm! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Keep my house warm!

I'm frigid. My pets are frigid. HELP!

I'll admit, having my thermostat set to 60 degrees is not helping. 64 when I get really cold...

The majority of the house is fine, but the longer I sit in the middle of the living room the colder it seems to feel! I do know there is the smallest amount of a gap at the front door that I need to seal. The only way I know its there is when the sun comes up you can see the outline in the bottom half of the door. If sun can get through, so can air.

But its not even coldest near the door. There are three large glass windows. It obviously feels colder closer to the windows but I don't know what to do about it. Its not drafty at all, just cold.

I have curtains in my bedroom but haven't decided if it seems any warmer with them closed vs open.

The basement was uncomfortably cold last winter, so I'm pretty sure I won't spend much time down there this year, or both trying to keep it heated. I am going to be putting a door on the open doorway to see if that helps keep most of the cold air there and warm air up here.

Any other suggestions on how to figure out exactly what is causing the heat to escape and quick fixes I can do to warm the place up?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Why are you keeping your house so cold? I'm broker than broke, but if I had a heating system in my house, I'd sure as heck keep it warmer than 60!

I bought these for my front and back door and they're wonderful! They keep the bugs out in the summer, too.

Twin Draft Guard® Door Guard Extreme - Bed Bath & Beyond&

They make them for doors and windows, all different sizes.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Cat Addict

Two words....Thermal Curtains! Mine have saved me hundred in electric bills keeping my house COOL, as the windows are huge and the sun in the summer is brutal! Stands to reason it should work the other way around.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Premier Cat

You can always get a kit that allows you to put up plastic on the inside of your windows. With your hair drier the plastic shrink wraps until it is taut and wrinkle free. You will be amazed at how much cold it will kep out. Do you have double paned windows? If not I would look into getting storm windows made for the outside.

Have you thought about using a space heater in the room where you spend the most time so that you are warmer?

One last thing is that you might want to contact your electric company to see if they will do an energy audit on your home. They wil come in and help you determine where al of your leaks are, and how to fix them. Often this is a free process.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie View Post
You can always get a kit that allows you to put up plastic on the inside of your windows.
Heads up, make sure you show your cats it's there. I used that stuff last year and I forgot to hold Mow up and show him the difference. We were playing Boodgekitty the next day and he dove from dining table to window and BOING! The stuff works great though

Do you have seperate heat vents/zones in your house? Shutting down some in less used rooms might help. I shut the heat in the spare bedroom off and put a doorstop so it's just open enough for Mow to get in(about 8 inches). Then I hung a pretty twin sized quilt like a tapestry over the door. He nudges the blanket aside when he wants to get in there(for his litter box).

I also keep less used rooms @ 55 (like the living room and dining room). The bedroom/computer room I keep @ 60-65 (depending on how cold mah feetz are) and try to keep those doors just open enough for Mow to slip in and out. In the winter I try to make up the electric increase by keeping the lights off. I read by booklight and I don't need light to watch TV/ surf interwebz and to work in the kitchen I c an just turn on the stove's hood light.

I'm the queen of cheap.

** Oh! If you're computing/watching TV...a heating pad under your feet makes *all* the difference. Just remember to unplug it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Cool Cat

You are in for a rough winter if you are cold already!! Your pets are probably fine; I've had my thermostat around the same temp here in Columbia and my kittens don't seem out of sorts. If you are cold, and I assume trying to save $, keep plenty of throw blankets around, keep your blinds and curtains shut (even during the day), put a towel in front of the door until you get it fixed, make sure you are changing your air filters regularly (like every month), and check out your insulation. I know my dad added some in the attic and below the house a couple of years ago, and it has made a very big difference. Also, electric blankets and hot cocoa are amazing!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also, electric blankets and hot cocoa are amazing!!
Two of my favorite things!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Cat Addict

I can't believe the cats aren't all over you so you can't possibly get anything done. I let it get the least bit chilly in my apartment and my kids go into heat seeking mode and are all up in my business until I turn the heat up. Texas kitties are weenies about the cold.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Cat Addict

Give me a moment here to convert that to Celsius... Ah, 15 degrees?! That's not too bad, I guess... better than outside I hope!

How much insulation do you have in the roof and walls? We have a lot of insulation in the ceiling so snow always melts off our roof last. You can use that as rough measure for how well your roof is insulated, the longer snow stick around on the roof the better. However, even if you have a lot of insulation like we do, that doesn't stop the cold from escaping from the windows and cracks in the doors. If you're really trying to stop the cold, seal off all the drafts by windows and doors you can feel.

Are your windows double paned? If they aren't you're losing a ton of heat in the house. Getting them installed is expensive. Our house doesn't have them since it's so old - new houses come with them... anyway, since we don't have them, we gave up on trying to heat the whole house. It was futile.

We're trying to cut down on heating too, since the gas fireplaces are so expensive and using the furnace is also a no go - it'll never shut off since the heat just gets zapped out so fast. We bought two electric heaters that're energy efficient. We move them around to the room we're in and keep the door to the room closed (or almost closed, still want the pets to work their way in!) and make sure any unused doors in the house are also kept shut too. Sometimes the heat from the furnace still comes in the house when it gets too cold overall (only about twice a day) but we make sure even then that the events in rooms that aren't used are closed off. At night we turn everything to zero and just use wool blankets on top of the bed and cats & dogs to keep warm.

Last edited by Carmel; 12-03-2010 at 03:11 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobster View Post
I can't believe the cats aren't all over you so you can't possibly get anything done. I let it get the least bit chilly in my apartment and my kids go into heat seeking mode and are all up in my business until I turn the heat up. Texas kitties are weenies about the cold.

lol- no, they were begging to come outside with me last night! I let Pumpkin out for about 20 minutes, and she was pouting an awful lot when I made her come back in!

Oh, there's one thing I should mention...when I say I have the thermostat on 60, that means the downstairs is 60 but upstairs is around 65-70. I rent a townhouse, and there is a HUGE difference in temperature from the top/bottom floors. I am very hot natured, so some nights I even have to crack my window a bit to cool off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page