Raw diet for humans - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Raw diet for humans

I was just wondering, since a lot of people on here feed their cats a raw diet, if any of them are on a raw diet themselves? I have seen what people eat when they are on a raw meat diet, and it terrifies me!! Anyone?

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Cat Addict

Humans on a raw diet are usually vegetarians or vegans.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I am talking about this diet:

Link removed by Heather102180

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Heather102180; 12-04-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Cat Addict

Nope, never even considered it. Humans are omnivores and I like to keep it that way.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Cool Cat

My boyfriend enjoys his burgers medium-rare, but yeah...I'm of the opinion that humans are better off cooking their meat. Our digestive systems are not quite as hardy as those of cats. Too many years of dietary evolution centered around cooking our food.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Cool Cat

While I do like some meats (good steaks and lamb) as medium rare and bloody as I can get them, I want all my food cooked to a certain extent to kill bacteria! The only meat I would ever dare to eat raw, is wild game as soon as it was killed! Or had been properly and quickly preserved so that there was no risk of getting sick from any harmful contaminants.
I would still cook it, though... I guess that's just what I'm used to. I cook my fish I catch from clean urban ponds, not because I'm afraid of the salmonella risk (though that is a factor), but because that's just what I'm used to and like just fine - so why change it?
I have had sashimi once, and luckily didn't get sick from it. I would like to have it again, but the place I had it is VERY expensive...and of course that's probably why it was treated better than some sushi chain joint.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Raw meat isn't always bad. Raw chicken and pork aren't sensible to eat raw, but even then there's different smoked hams, which aren't always cooked There's a type of French smoked ham which I absolutely adore jambon cru (literally cured ham), but the flavour!.

Raw fish done properly is wonderful. I've only had proper Japanese food once (raw tuna steak in a kind of sauce), and I loved it. Sadly it's way too expensive.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Premier Cat

I like my steak medium rare, but I don't like raw meat or fish...no doubt it's psychological! I was in Tokyo on business about a year ago and I barely ate anything because a lot of the fish was served raw.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

You missed out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Cat Addict

I knew a gal online who fed her animals a raw diet, and she ate the same herself. She didn't eat chicken, due to the salmonella concern, but she kept her beef raw/rare if and when she ate it.

In her case, some allergies cleared up when she changed to the diet, she lost a great deal of weight (she'd been quite overweight), and became very healthy. So I can certainly see the merits of going all-natural, primarily raw.

There are obviously serious cautions against this type of diet, and education and care are paramount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page