Need opinions on bridesmaid dress - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Need opinions on bridesmaid dress

So I'm getting married in 13 weeks. A few months ago, I made a collage with different photos I found online just to get an idea of the theme/colours we're going for. We're open to the colour of the bridesmaid dress changing if we get a nice style but are keen to have an aqua/teal colour. We're having the ceremony on the beach (weather permitting) and the tables at the reception are beach themed also. The boys are wearing cream pants, white shoes and a white shirt so it's not like the girls dresses have to be too over the top.

I have a 'back up' dress that I bought a little while ago in case we have no luck with the girls dresses.. I absolutely love the colour of the dress but I'm still not 100% sure of the style..

Opinions are much appreciated, I don't want people saying they like it if they don't.. Everyone's taste is different and I want as many honest opinions to compare as possible.

Note that the brooch is removable and the dress does look a little better without it..

And here's the best man posing in his outfit. Hehe. (Really bad quality pic from my phone.) The boys will have the sleeves rolled up to about their elbows on the day..

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Cat Addict

I like the dress in the lower left hand corner of the collage best.

Though the dress you show in the picture below it is nice as well. And yes I agree with you about the broach. It would look better without it. I dislike excess stuff on dresses like that.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Tom Cat

I completely agree with Raecarrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Cool Cat

I like the dress - only question I have is will it look good on all the bridemaids - (if you are having more than one?) That style would not look good on all body types.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Premier Cat

Not to be a complete nonconformist here, but I just don't like the idea of matching bridesmaid dresses. To be truly comfortable, people have to wear clothes of their own choosing, that they picked out, and have a prayer of ever wearing again.

When I got married the first time, I told my bridesmaids to just wear a nice dress. Sure enough, they all wear nice dresses that looked great. What's the need to turn these women into clones of each other? You must like them as they are or they wouldn't be your close friends. I think the greatest gift is to give them their individuality!

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Not to be a complete nonconformist here, but I just don't like the idea of matching bridesmaid dresses. To be truly comfortable, people have to wear clothes of their own choosing, that they picked out, and have a prayer of ever wearing again.

When I got married the first time, I told my bridesmaids to just wear a nice dress. Sure enough, they all wear nice dresses that looked great. What's the need to turn these women into clones of each other? You must like them as they are or they wouldn't be your close friends. I think the greatest gift is to give them their individuality!
Very true, I have said from the start I would be happy for different styles in the same colour but I do feel like there has to be some kind of common factor about the dresses.. I'm even beginning to think that maybe we'll have to get something made so we can have the same fabric but different styles to suit everyone..

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Cat Addict

For my cousin's wedding last year, her colors were Champagne, Chocolate and, Wine. She let us choose either a Wine or Champagne colored dress with a Chocolate sash. Her only restrictions, above the knee and she had veto powers on the dress. I was the maid of honor.

I'm the insanely tall one

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Premier Cat

That's good, at least there was a little variation in what you could wear. Bridesmaids dresses just look like uniforms to me. Ick.

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Premier Cat

I agree. Choose a color range and let them choose (with veto power) a style. Your common factor can be an accessory like a scarf or a mini bouqet or hair bow/clip/ribbon etc. I like the dress(-the brooch) but it would look *AWFUL* on me and I'd be miserable at my friend's wedding wearing it and knowing that.

Excuse the typing, cat sleepng on both hands and my range of movement is seriously impaired.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Cool Cat

I really like the skirt portion of the very first picture of dresses... though I'm not a big fan of sleeveless stuff (but I'm a modest prude!). I also like the brooch... it doesn't seem like too much, and the dress would seem kinda plain without it.
Totally matching would be nice for photo shoots, but for just the reception/party I think it would be okay to have everybody wear just the color theme and their own style.

For my wedding, we didn't do the whole "line" of bridesmaids and best man(s). For family members, I just said that my colors were blue and yellow, and they could wear whatever to go with that. My sister wore a dress that was more ivory, but still looked nice with everything else. My mom's dress was more a purple-ish hue (kinda periwinkle) and I didn't like it much...but oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page