Eradicate the emoticon?.... :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Eradicate the emoticon?.... :(

I found this interesting article earlier today.

While I agree with the sentiment that they shouldn't be used for business emails, I think they are perfectly fine to use in casual chatting situations.

If you can't tell from my posts I like adding emoticons
Let's all eradicate the emoticon - CNN.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

That article is so funny!

I hate LOL more than emoticons.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Cat

But I love emoticons! It's so hard to convey things like sarcasm without them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

Yeah, LOL is really old, as is LATFL and all the others. While we're at it, could we all stop using the phrase "24/7"?

I must admit I rely on emoticons to convey mood. In person we have tone of voice, but in writing I'm always concerned that someone won't understand that something is said with a twinkle in my eye, a nudge, whatever else we use to show that it was kidding. Some people don't get that stuff, you know.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Cat Addict

I don't have any problem with them when they're used for certain situations or at the ended of a message.

Although, I should really try and cut down on them in text messages... I tend to throw them around waaaaay too much. And I use LOL in texts a lot too... mainly because typing anything longer is time consuming but I still want to get the point across that I'm amused. On message boards and in emails I hardly ever use them, but I don't get annoyed at seeing them.

I think people need to relax if emoticons are annoying them. (yes I used the "most annoying" on purpose!)

Last edited by Carmel; 12-08-2010 at 03:47 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Cool Cat

None of it bothers me.

Shari
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Cat Addict

Had to laugh at the end. "would you wink at someone in real life" Haha. Greatness.

Honeslty, text talk annoys me more than emoticons. At least I know what the emoticons mean. But I mean really, you can't take the time to actually call me, so you send me a text. Fine, but then you can't even take the time to properly type out the words in a language I MIGHT understand! BAH!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

Yeah I can't stand text talk.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Premier Cat

I'm fine with actually happy faces and the like when they appear in posts as pictures, and I agree they help to communicate whether one is joking or serious. But, I don't understand :p or ): or whatever else is used... they're all Greek to me! If I ever tried to use these shortforms, I'd likely end up swearing by mistake.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, I more often use ROFL or ROFLMAO than I use LOL

Actually its kinda weird but some people (generally of my parents' age) think that LOL means Lots Of Love.

I read something from one of the icanhazcheezburger sites that said something like

Quote:
My mom thinks that LOL stands for Lots Of Love. Imagine my horror when I got a text one day that said "Your grandmother passed away last night. LOL"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page