Blue Jays! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Blue Jays!

Anyone else feed the birds? With all the snow we've gotten, it's brought the jays in to the feeders like crazy! They plop their big butts on the feeder, and chase all the songbirds away, including my cardinals. Grrr! So I put out a couple different feeders that hopefully they can't get on, and I think the cardinals will still feed, but we'll have to see. I don't mind if they clean up under the feeders, but do they really need to be so darn hoggy!

Anyone know if jays like safflower seed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Cat Addict

I don't think they do -- here's an article that says safflower seeds are too bitter for their liking...

Attracting Birds in Winter - by Diane Porter

And you're right, jays are just so cheeky - everything belongs to them, just like cats!

We feed the scrub jays peanuts at our house, and Gracie gets all riled up watching them hop around on the deck. You can sense how eager cat and bird would be to match wits, watching them give each other the eye...!

Fran
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Premier Cat

My sister in Minneapolis has several different feeders with different foods in each one. If I were a bird Id migrate south. I have no idea how they make it in the cold weather!!!!

Shoot, I clicked on your thread hoping to see blue jays. Its been years since Ive seen one. No blue jays in the desert!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Cool Cat

Oh man, I'm so jazzed on baseball news right now I thought for sure you were talking Toronto Blue Jays.
sorry, this is a very big day for Phillies Phans.

Shari
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot View Post
Oh man, I'm so jazzed on baseball news right now I thought for sure you were talking Toronto Blue Jays.
sorry, this is a very big day for Phillies Phans.
Hehe, the first thing that popped into my head when I read "Blue Jays" was my college mascot. I knew that Geri probably wasn't talking about my college because it is a small little college far away from where she lives.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Cool Cat

I put out bird food but the darn squirrels steal it - ha! Which does give the cats entertainment though - so it works out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
If I were a bird Id migrate south. I have no idea how they make it in the cold weather!!!!
I know, right! Especially those tiny birds, like little chickadees and finches. Last week, I had a momma cardinal land up by the patio door, on a chair, and she stood there for a while with one of her little legs tucked up under her feathers. She must have been warming her little toe toes, and melting the snow off of them.

I think the cardinals might feed on the feeder I have out, I saw papa on there once already. I'll keep it out, but if worse comes to worse, and they won't feed, I'm going to try safflower seeds.

Speaking of squirrels. There was just one in the back yard, he was digging through all the snow like a dog, to get down to the ground. He must have smelled something good under all of that. It was so funny though, all of a sudden he'd disappear, and there'd be snow flying up out of the hole!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page