So this is Christmas... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

So this is Christmas...

I live quite a distance from my family (across the US) and this year I won't be joining them for Christmas. SO won't be able to visit this holiday season (money reasons) so it's just Mow and I.

In some freakish insane moment I invited my ex husband and his new boyfriend (yes, I said boyfriend) along with a couple they are friends with for Christmas Eve dinner.

Of course now that I have to clean from top to bottom, cook, bake, and figure out how to diffuse what will start as a very awkward evening (without large amounts of booze) I'm wondering WHAT THE **** WAS I THINKING?

Mow won't even be of any help with his hijinks. Since my ex will be attending he'll spend the entire evening hiding under the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Premier Cat

My sympathies. I've had those insane moments too, when something seemed like a good idea at the time, but in the cold, hard light of day really doesn't.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry
We have all done something like invite someone over that we may not even like, to try to salvage something. Try to enjoy the company and spend Christmas day spoiling Mow with lovins and take some time to relax. I do four Christmas celebrations in a 24 hour period, and while I am grateful that I have a wonderful family and so does my boyfriend, sometimes I wish we could spend a holiday relaxing and spoiling the kitties.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Cool Cat

Cough, cough, <blow nose, making a honking sound>. Cough, cough.
Aren't you coming down with something?

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4 View Post
Aren't you coming down with something?
I thought of that. LOL. I probably would too but the bf called this morning to tell me how excited he was, couldn't wait to meet me, wanted to know what he could bring and blah blah blah blah. Besides, after 17/18 years together my ex knows me pretty well. He'd know I was faking(doh, double entendre there!).

I should be a caterer or something. I love cooking, baking, and preparing for things like that but I hate having to spend an evening making small talk.

I'm ok now, I was just feeling whiney and sorry for myself because SO won't be here.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Premier Cat

You know, you will probably end up having a really nice time! It's a bit odd, and awkward I'm sure, but make the best of it, and just enjoy yourself!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Premier Cat

I bet it mean a lot to the bf for you to invite him ( I think it was downright wonderful on your part).

My coping mechanism for dealing with family dinners was to start drinking early so this way I was having fun and didn't care if anyone else was, or not. May not be the best idea for everyone, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Cool Cat

I think it will work out; the bf sounds excited & bubbly enough to entertain everyone. And if you are worried about having enough to talk about, maybe you could rent a few movies to watch after dinner?

Best of luck & Merry Christmas!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hah. That was why I moved 3500 miles from my family. It was just too much to deal with them all the time (we all lived within walking distance of each other and had dinner together at least twice a week).

Yeah we'll be ok. Just about done cleaning and baking is done. Just have to make the dinner and throw together a cherry pie and it's all good. I even picked up some pretty Holiday themed boxes and filled them with homemade cookies for all the guys to take home with them. Tomorrow I'll run out and pick up some filler decorations to liven the joint up and give the c at something to destroy.

On the positive side there are some things that can be done around the apartment and it will be handy to have them here. A few lightbulbs, a loose doorknob, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page