Choppin' off my hair - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Choppin' off my hair

So I swore when my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer that if she lost all her hair I would chop off mine and donate it..... The first round of chemo didn't do it to her, but this second round has made it fall out in clumps and it's time for me to make good on my promise.

But I have absolutely NO idea what to do with short hair! If I go the minimum 8 eight inches to donate I'll have about 3 left on top to work with, and probably just about nothing on the lower half of my head since that hair is just over eight inches. I'll probably have to cut it in about six different ponytails to maximize what I can donate.

So I need ideas! Here's a pic of me, what do you guys think?

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Cool Cat

Without knowing your personal style, it is hard for me to make recommendations, but I want to commend you for the wonderful support you are giving your mother!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Premier Cat

pixie haircut - Google Search

Some cute stuff there. Personally, I'd look like Charlie Brown, but I think you can pull it off.

Just think about how easy it would be to get ready in the mornings...just some mousse/hair gel and toussle....done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

So do you think the really short pixie style could still look okay as it grows out if I don't get it trimmed regularly? I'm thinking that when I do this I'll go for the more ruffled pixie since I don't want to use a lot of product to make it flat and perfectly placed. My long hair has always looked good with the unbrushed touseled look but I don't know if short will work that way as it grows. I want it to grow back out after this so I'm not planning to cut it more than once every 4 months or so, which is what I do now.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Cool Cat

Is your hair kinda wavy? Go with some side bangs As it gets longer, you can be creative with some bobby pins; also, you could graduate to a sort of bob look after your pixie cut grows out.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It's got a LITTLE bit of a wave in it but it's pretty much completely straight. It's very very thick so it won't hold a curl at all, although when it's short I suppose that might work better. A couple of years ago I cut it to chin length and hated it within hours because as it dried it fluffed out and I felt like a giant mushroom. I ended up wearing a headband for about six months until it got long enough to pull back into a ponytail again. I strongly suspect that as my hair gets to that point again I will absolutely hate it, but I'm willing to tolerate it to support my mom!

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Cool Cat

Ask them to use the thinning scissors & put a few layers in when your hair gets to that length. I don't know how you would feel about it, but I've seen some people get the lower layers of hair at the back of their head shaved so the top part wouldn't look so poofy; the shaved part would only be visible if you lifted up the top part.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Cool Cat

Oh, and if you have a problem with poofy thick hair/frizz like I do, my favorite hair product ever is John Frieda Frizz-Ease hair serum. I just rub a small amount in my hair about 30min-1hr after getting out of the shower and it works wonders! I also use this kinda expensive intense conditioner from the Matrix Essentials line that helps a lot. When I was swimming, that conditioner was the only kind that helped, and now that I'm not, I just use about half the amount I used to. Lastly, if I can, I skip brushing my hair because that just creates even more frizz and hair damage.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimkris View Post
Ask them to use the thinning scissors & put a few layers in when your hair gets to that length. I don't know how you would feel about it, but I've seen some people get the lower layers of hair at the back of their head shaved so the top part wouldn't look so poofy; the shaved part would only be visible if you lifted up the top part.
My hair in back is undercut because it's so thin and fine. So the very bottom layer is cut shorter than the top ones. If that makes sense. Makes my hair look fuller, but it's not shaved, just cut shorter underneath.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
My hair in back is undercut because it's so thin and fine. So the very bottom layer is cut shorter than the top ones. If that makes sense. Makes my hair look fuller, but it's not shaved, just cut shorter underneath.
I know what you mean Marie; your layers are sort of "stacked" to give more body. What I was describing would actually be a partial shave. The only problem is that she couldn't easily wear her hair up, and would have to wait even longer for the bottom layer to grow out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page