Aren't I handy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Aren't I handy

I bought a used glass fireplace screen today from craigslist for $80!! I've been looking for one for MONTHS but I haven't wanted to spend $300-$1000 for one from the store. I've been keeping my fireplace (it has been a bare fireplace with just a wire screen) shuttered with boards and such because the kitties were getting in there and getting covered in soot and tracking it EVERYWHERE. Well, I had to do some work, but I have it installed now.

What do you think?

Now I just need some firewood!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Cool Cat

Wow, that's a really lovely screen!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Premier Cat

Nice job! If you don't like the brass look you can use high heat spray paint to change it to black.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I kinda like the brass. It looks exactly like the fireplace screen we had on the fireplace when I was younger. I remember sitting as close as I could stand to the fire, feeling the heat lick at my face while listening to the Hobbit (book on casset) with my mom and siblings.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raecarrow View Post
I kinda like the brass. It looks exactly like the fireplace screen we had on the fireplace when I was younger. I remember sitting as close as I could stand to the fire, feeling the heat lick at my face while listening to the Hobbit (book on casset) with my mom and siblings.
What a lovely mental picture! I, too, had a fireplace in my family's home when I was little, and we, too, spent evenings around it reading to one another and to ourselves.

Yours is lovely, and congrats on the great deal!

AC
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Premier Cat

You definitely are handy! That's a great job and a lovely screen.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Cool Cat

I wish I could use my fireplace. It's even got a "blower" to blow OUT the hot air, rather than all the hot air going up the chimney.
Though the bricks are crumbling and falling out in the back wall... people keep telling me I should be able to fix it myself, but I dunno if I would feel comfortable with the safety of a DIY job, considering it's a device to restrain FIRE! (which is why I'm not using it now with "only a couple" bricks missing).
I'm sure Nebbie would love a fire. Paizly would probably freak out (just like she does with everything else in the house)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Premier Cat

You ARE handy!
With a glass screen, instead of the wire-mesh ... does it still radiate enough heat or does most of it go up the chimney? I'd *love* to keep dirty paws out of the soot and ashes, but I like using the fireplace for heat, not just to watch flames.

I'd like for my husband to get some pipe and bend/weld it into a 'radiating manifold' in seferal connected "C" shapes. The logs would rest on the lower curve and the heat warms the back and overhead curves. He could weld/connect the lower parts of the C to a wide pipe outside the fireplace with a fan to blow room-temp air through it, where it would warm the air through the C-shaped pipes and be blown out the top and into the room.
We'd need to use heavy pipe and make sure the upper portion of the manifold reached close enough to the front that it would only blow pipe-air and not chimney smoke/air.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Cool Cat

The basement fireplace has a commercial blower. The upstairs fireplace didn't have anything, so my dad built one! He took a bathroom fan and hooked it up to a pipe that ran across the top of the fireplace (just below the flue) and had the end of the pipe just behind the wire mesh to blow out into the room. It works really well, too!
He kept everything that would get hot behind the wire mesh, since my 4 year old nephew is here every day while my sister is at work... so if anything is child-proof, I would assume it's cat-proof.
Not sure if I explained it well enough... I can take pictures tomorrow evening if you want (got church in the morning and then helping at cat adoptions at Petco in the afternoon)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q View Post
You ARE handy!
With a glass screen, instead of the wire-mesh ... does it still radiate enough heat or does most of it go up the chimney? I'd *love* to keep dirty paws out of the soot and ashes, but I like using the fireplace for heat, not just to watch flames.
It has doors that can open and it has a wire screen so you can leave the doors open and not have to worry about sparks but get more heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page