Letting sleeping dogs lie... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Letting sleeping dogs lie...

...in your bed can kill you. This article includes cats as well.

I understand their concerns but I would sleep poorly if I didn't have kitties on my feet. I'll just take the precautions and deal with the risk.

Honestly, I'm more likely to die of the flu than die of a pet sharing my bed with me.

Letting Sleeping Dogs Lie in Your Bed Can Kill You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Reading the responses is my favorite part:

Quote:
"ADMIT" they sleep with their pets..... huh. Me thinks the reporting is suspect. Why not write "SAY" they sleep with their pets. I SAY I sleep with my two Toy Aussies and what a joy it is! Snugglie warm and oh so soft. My husband sleeps in a different room because he snores and farts and takes up way to much space. The dogs are most welcome anytime. I will risk the "Plague" over his nonsense anynight. Yeeeesh. Some one writing a thesis somewhere is stretching reality pretty thin.
Quote:
Talk to me about some of importance..like if my Toy Poodle sleeps with my college friend..contracts AIDS...and passes it on to me or my children.
Quote:
I guess we (my wife and I) are going to get the plague.
Quote:
I read this article to Buddy, my no-longer-stray mutt, as he lay on my bed with his head on the pillow. He stretched, rolled his eyes and went back to sleep.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Premier Cat

Well then, i must be very lucky. I've slept with a pet in my bed for as long as I can remember and even before.

My mom has pictures of my dad's hunting dog sleeping in my crib with me. She slept with me until she died when I was 4.

I got my own dog then and she slept in bed with me until SHE died @ 11.

I got my next dog then and she slept with me until SHE died when @ 16+.

I got married and our Malamute slept on our bed as did the cat and after my divorce I got MowMow.

If Mow isn't in bed with me I wake up. I'm so used to having his furry little warm body up against my face I can't sleep without him.

The theme of the people who got sick seems to be that they were already ill with some open sore/disease/ whatever and/or the pet was infested with fleas/was dirty/ etc. Healthy human + healthy & well cared for pet = no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Cool Cat

I don't sleep with Nebbie... a'course, that's because she won't let me sleep, and insists on walking all over me at night!
Then there's times like now... when I'm up and out of bed, she's curled up in the middle and fast asleep
OIY!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Cat Addict

I can't sleep without my kids tucked in safe beside me! They don't have fleas or worms and aren't going to kill me. They might eat me if I died in my sleep, but at that point, I'm already dead, so who cares.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
My mom has pictures of my dad's hunting dog sleeping in my crib with me. She slept with me until she died when I was 4.

I got my own dog then and she slept in bed with me until SHE died @ 11.

I got my next dog then and she slept with me until SHE died when @ 16+.
Holy cow! You're killing your animals, not the other way around!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
holy cow! you're killing your animals, not the other way around!

lmao!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Premier Cat

You don't have to share your bed with your animal to be bitten by a flea and contract the plague. I am pretty sure that fleas will bite you any chance that they can get! Many of the other situations can be managed by basic hygeine like washing your hands after being scratched by an animal, or playing with their food.

The zoonotic experts need to get out of the lab and get real lives.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, good grief! I think I'll take my chances with my girls...plague notwithstanding.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobster View Post
They might eat me if I died in my sleep, but at that point, I'm already dead, so who cares.
Ewwwwwww . . .

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page