A Small Rant. aka I'm Sick AGAIN. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

A Small Rant. aka I'm Sick AGAIN.

Sometimes I really love my job. I have some wonderful co-workers who provide me with endless entertainment throughout the mundane work day, I make awesome tasty food that I'm proud of, and I have a general manager who is just awesome to work for.

BUT.

When a select few fellow co-workers or managers come into work sick, still contagious, and are working in close proximity to others and food, I get a little angry/scared/wary cause I know I'm probably next.

Yup, guess what happened. That's right, I'm sick for the fourth time in a row now. Every month, starting at about the end of October (I remember cause I was worried I'd be sick for my hockey game), I've been seriously sick with some sort of flu or plague or something. It usually lasts about a week, and for about three days in there, I am stuck at home with a 102+ degree fever.

I know it's the people at work, because I've seen them working with the same symptoms I have. They come in, breathe on everyone, and complain about how sick they feel (and boy do they look it!), and end up eventually getting sent home. I just wish they would have the common decency not to bring it into work! We work around food! Use your brains people, that's hardly unsanitary...and if yer getting yer fellow co-workers sick, then most likely the customers are too. Not to mention, would you want to eat a sandwich, that someone who looks like death warmed over, just made for you? Yer just asking for a side of germs and disease with that one.

If you are seriously that sick and contagious just stay home. I am so sick and tired, of being sick and tired. Yesterday I had a 103 degree fever, and it's down to 101 today.

And this is the worst news. I think I lost my second job because of this. I was supposed to start yesterday...with a 103 degree fever...around more food. I called the manager and apologized like mad, and tried to explain...but he said he'd call me, because he doesn't have anymore hours right now. This is a small restaurant just starting out, and he's only looking for a few part time people...I was supposed to be one of those people, but I think he may have skipped over me, because I missed my first day. I'm going to go down there tomorrow and try to talk to him, but I have such a terrible feeling of foreboding...I really wanted this job too. I had the potential to move up to sous chef.

The only good thing that ever comes of me being sick, is my little heart kitty Samantha, becomes even more cuddly and almost motherly. She knows when she's getting too warm for me, so she'll move a short distance away...but when I'm getting cold again, she's right in my lap snuggling close. I don't even ask her to leave or stay, she just knows. And yesterday she did the cutest thing...I dropped my cell phone from where I was laying on the couch, and it kinda bounced a little ways away, as in I would have had to get up to go get it. Instead Samantha jumped down, and grabbed my phone by the little strap attached, and half dragged half carried it close to the couch (I think it was a little heavy for her, heh), so I wouldn't have to get up myself and I could just lean down and grab it. How sweet is that! I just love my Sammy...even when I'm ranting, I can't stay mad...she's purring in my lap right now. So warm.

I guess long story short, and getting back on track...I just don't wanna be sick anymore. I wish those few fellow co-workers had some decency and respect for others. This is getting so ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

I hope you feel better soon. Try not to think of all the bad stuff. Just try to relax, sleep, and get well.

Soak in the kitty snuggles!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

I'm sorry you're sick! I agree 1000% If someone is contagious, they should stay home! I work for a company that manufactures food products and they make people go home if they are noticably sick.

I wonder if a product like Airborne would help if you see someone coming in sick (& the boss doesn't make them go home)

You have a very smart kitty!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Premier Cat

I hope you're feeling better soon, Brianna. I agree your co-workers should stay home if they're sick, although given the description of your job, I suspect they're not paid if they're not at work (i.e., not on salary), which regretably often explains why people come to work when they shouldn't. In the meantime, the only thing you can do is everything possible to keep your immune system strong...a healthy diet with lots of fresh fruit, veggies, lean meat, low-fat dairy, whole grains and nuts, along with sufficient sleep and daily exercise...things we all often slack off on in the winter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for the well wishes all. Feeling slightly better this morning...hopefully I'm good to go back to work tomorrow morning.

Nan - Unfortunately, I've tried Airborne a few times in the past, and it just doesn't work for me. Maybe Tamiflu would help...never tried that. I used to have the best immune system ever...never got sick, and if I did I certainly didn't keep getting it over and over again...I was sick maybe twice a year. Now it's a monthly occurrence, and I can't seem to get my strength back between illnesses.

Susan - Yup, yer right. No one is salaried but the managers (one of which I caught this latest bout of plague from...grrrr!) where I work. And I really do understand not wanting to miss a day just because yer sick, especially in these cruddy economic times (believe me, I'm right there with them). But if you are seriously considering coming into work (especially around food!) with a major fever, sweat pouring down yer face, vomiting, and you can barely move because the body aches are so bad, then at that point you should maybe do a bit of rethinking. Co-workers, customers, and the food are all going to be contaminated.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Cat Addict

I know how you feel, I caught a really nasty bug from a co-worker back in Dec. It took me 2 weeks to get better! This was some nasty bug. I even COMPLETELY lost my voice for two days. Though I admit I came into work the first day I started feeling bad. Though, in my job, I work on the computer all day and have my own office.

I suggest you go in person and pursuade them (read "beg") to let you keep the new job. It sure can't hurt.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
Susan - Yup, yer right. No one is salaried but the managers (one of which I caught this latest bout of plague from...grrrr!) where I work. And I really do understand not wanting to miss a day just because yer sick, especially in these cruddy economic times (believe me, I'm right there with them). But if you are seriously considering coming into work (especially around food!) with a major fever, sweat pouring down yer face, vomiting, and you can barely move because the body aches are so bad, then at that point you should maybe do a bit of rethinking. Co-workers, customers, and the food are all going to be contaminated.
If someone is that sick, then they absolutely belong in bed, not at work, especially around food! I hope you're feeling better soon and that you're able to smooth things over with the new restaurant.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Rae - Thanks. Even though I'm not feeling the best yet today, at least I can function and I don't get dizzy if I'm up for too long. I'm going to be stopping down at the second job and talk, plead, beg my way into keeping it...I've got such a bad feeling about this though (I blame my woman's intuition...).

Susan, yeah he was that sick. You'd think a manager would know better right?! *sigh* I don't know what to do if I lose this job because of this...I want to talk to the guy that got me sick, but I'm kinda afraid of him...he's a big alpha man who thinks his poop don't stink.

I'll let you all know how it goes. *fingers crossed*
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yeah, I was right...I lost the job. I feel so awful right now.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry. {{hugs}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page