What No Kill Means - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

What No Kill Means

This is a wonderful article written by Ryan Clinton of Austin Texas.

What “No Kill” Means (and the Alternative) | "O" is for Onward

After my experience with a supposed no kill shelter the last couple weeks this article means so much more to me. Inspirational.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Cool Cat

Excellent article!

I truly hope that kill-shelters do not have to remain a "necessity" in our society and that more adopt attitudes like the one this article is expressing in the future.

Things like this motivate me even more to volunteer and foster in the future, when I am able.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Kitten

thats so terrible! i can't believe anyone would be heartless enough to kill a kitten! my dog had parvoo once, and that section over it just wrenched my heart because its so easy to cure, probably less expencive than killing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Premier Cat

Excellent article! The author makes some very valid points.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitenyo View Post
Excellent article!

I truly hope that kill-shelters do not have to remain a "necessity" in our society and that more adopt attitudes like the one this article is expressing in the future.

Things like this motivate me even more to volunteer and foster in the future, when I am able.
I hope you get the chance to foster in the future. Its alot of work but it fun and you make a tremendous difference in an animals life. Its amazing what just a few people can accomplish when working with animals.

In mid 2006 seven of us got together to TNR and thought wed foster a couple kittens we found out there. We were told there were apx 450 feral cats in our area. We thought wed be out of business right away. Well the count is in the thousands. Our 7 grew to apx 20 at any given time doing different jobs in our TNR group. Were heading towards our 1000 cat. Over half the cats we trapped were companion cats which we took to our homes and got them vetted and back to health and into safe indoor only homes.

Yes we manage on a shoe string... grants, donations, garage sales, farmers market small item sales to keep us moving forward. But Ive met the most amazing people, have crazy stories, days Ive cried in frustration, formed bonds with my rescue friends that are special.
Were a small group but were determined!

I would encourage you to make that leap one day.. start small with just a few kittens and see what fun it is!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Cat Addict

Great article. Why would a shelter kill a innocent cat.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Number of cats and dogs reclaimed by owners from shelters each year:
Between 600,000 and 750,000 -- 30% of dogs and 2-5% of cats entering shelters (HSUS estimate) the rest are euthanized.
100% of feral cats brought to a shelter are euthanized.

If you want to see change read the books~

Redemption, The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No kill Revolution in America by Nathan J. Winograd

Irreconcilable Differences, The Battle for the Heart and Soul of America's Animal Shelters

We can change what is happening to animals in the United States.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
...We can change what is happening to animals in the United States.
Hear, hear!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post
Great article. Why would a shelter kill a innocent cat.
Because there are too many cats and not enough room at the shelter. I work at the Humane Society here, and it is absolutely horrible the sheer number of cats that have to be euthanized because there are no other options for them. We are -always- full on cats. Always. Nobody will TAKE these cats, we will let them go for FREE if it comes down to it, but nobody comes forward. It makes me absolutely sick. The girl that chooses who the vet will euth every week has the hardest job in the world imo. She loves cats. Every cat. Far more than she loves dogs. She has four cats of her own (and 3 dogs). She does everything she can to keep every cat, but when the room is gone, someone has to go. She chooses those with the least chance of getting adopted, and in kitten season, it does sometimes have to be kittens. Last year we had to euthanize 71% of our cats. People say "Well just DON'T" but then what are we to do with all the cats? We could refuse to take in new cats, but that would leave thousands of cats out on the streets to fend for themselves, breeding and continuing the vicious cycle. People in our society need to start VALUING the lives of cats. So many people seem to think of them as disposable vermin. Euthanizing a cat is not something anyone does because they want to. Don't blame the shelter. Blame those who don't spay and neuter their cats, those who aren't committed enough to keep the cats they have, those who let their cats out every day and never wonder when they don't come back, and those who would rather buy a kitten from a petshop (supporting cat mills who are -actually- breeding regular cats on purpose, and allowing them to CONTINUE making more cats and contributing to the problem) than taking one in need from the shelter.

Dogs are lucky. People love dogs, at least, more people than love cats. We never have to euthanize healthy dogs anymore (we used to under the old director because she refused to work with rescues - thus, she is no longer our director). When dogs come in, you know they'll be just fine. It doesn't matter their breed, age, size, color, temperament, health, there will be a home or rescue for them. There is very rarely a rescue for a cat. We weren't able to get more than one cat into a rescue last year, and that was only because the woman had come down to take a few dogs and fell in love with the cat. She adopted him herself, so it wasn't really "going to a rescue".

ETA: I am ALL FOR No-Kill, so don't get me wrong!

Last edited by Binkalette; 02-14-2011 at 12:47 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Jr. Cat

ETA2:
Ok well I can't believe the shelter in texas was killing kittens because they were too small to be S/N. We do S/N contracts for kittens, if they are not S/N by the specified date, we have the right to reclaim the cat (and do! very successfully!). Awful that they wouldn't think of that. There's only 2 things in there that aren't working well for us.. the first is inspirational leadership that embraces change.. while we DO have the "leader" that is right for the job, a few of the employees have been there for over a decade and do not want to embrace the changes. The other one is off-site adoption events. We have asked every store in town if we can set up a booth and bring a few animals for an adoption event and EVERYONE has said no. We don't have any pet shops of any kind, so this has been pretty discouraging. We are able to do a few booths at outdoor events every year though, and walk dogs and have cats on a float in the parade in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page