Fish Murderer! :-( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Fish Murderer! :-(

Yesterday, I was cleaning my fish tank. Once I was done, I noticed that the filter intake had fallen off and so I put it back on. Later that evening we all noticed a strange sound coming from the filter suddenly and it wasn't working correctly. So I took it apart to see if the motor was jammed and upon taking apart the casing I found the body of my 7 inch black ghost knife fish twisted and mutilated in the filter motor He must have swam into the intake tube when it had fallen off- it is in this species nature to do so- and I didn't notice when I reattached it, ensuring his imminent doom.

I feel absolutely horrible. I know it's "just a fish" but I am very fond of all my fish, especially him. He was beautiful, and I've had him for such a long time. I hand fed him every day and he would let me stroke his sides, and curiously investigate my fingers. I loved watching the grace and flow of his eerie but unique swimming style, and his strange but endearing antics as he made his way about his daily business in the tank. I couldn't sleep at all last night because of what I've done, just thinking of the horrible death I must have caused for him. I feel like this is 100% my fault and it's going to haunt me for a long time.

Here is a picture of my beautiful black ghost knife fish "Phantom". I apologize for the poor quality- it is hard to get a clear picture of him because he is in perpetual motion. RIP Phantom, you were not deserving of this untimely demise. You were supposed to continue to grow and thrive, and live to your full potential of 20 + inches and 10 + years, but now that won't be happening thanks to me

Last edited by RachandNito; 02-14-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Premier Cat

Awww...that's a shame. Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't do anything wrong on purpose. I too had a fish die on me because I did something wrong and I felt bad. I'm obviously not as close to my fish as to my cats, but still I hate to see any living thing suffer or die. All that said, there's really nothing you can do at this point, other than to forgive yourself.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Cat Addict

I feel your pain, I once dropped a rock while I was cleaning the tank on one of my favorite guppies and the poor guy died a day later. Yes I don't feel for fish the way I do my Beautiful Bengal Boys, but they were dependent on my care and I enjoyed watching them play.

I recently dismantled and sold my fish and tanks because I didn't have the time and energy to care for them as they needed to be cared for. I realized this when I came home from vacation to discover 3 of my loaches had died because the tank heaters went on the fritz. I then sold my 4 HUGE yoyo loaches and gave the rest to my sister. That was a sad day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Thanks for the sympathy you guys. I'm just finding this hard to cope with because of the fact that I'm the one who caused his death, when he was so healthy and happy... it was just not meant to happen! That's what's got me so upset- the feeling of guilt and responsibility.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Poor Phantom. He was beautiful. Well, now he's at the Bridge with all our Bridge Kitties and....

Oh. Probably not best to think of him there.....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachandNito View Post
Thanks for the sympathy you guys. I'm just finding this hard to cope with because of the fact that I'm the one who caused his death, when he was so healthy and happy... it was just not meant to happen! That's what's got me so upset- the feeling of guilt and responsibility.
Don't beat yourself up too badly ((HUGS)) It was an accident. I'm sure you will learn from this and never reattach a filter pipe before checking it for any hiding fish. You are not a fish murderer. ((HUGS))

Is that a Loach I spy in the upper right of the picture? I <3 Loaches.

Last edited by raecarrow; 02-14-2011 at 03:22 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Poor Phantom. He was beautiful. Well, now he's at the Bridge with all our Bridge Kitties and....

Oh. Probably not best to think of him there.....
Oh, no! I say he swam down the Rainbow Stream to the great pond in the sky to be with all the other fishes.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Cool Cat

Awww. *huggle-pat*
I agree, Ghost Knives are fascinating! Almost got one myself, then figured it was too complicated to care for it properly.

I always pictured the Rainbow Bridge ending at a land that's got meadows, forests, rivers/streams, lakes, deserts, swamps and whatever else ANY pet might need.

I'm gonna have lots of traveling to do in the next life...I've had so many types of pets that require different environments.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Cat Addict

aw, I'm sorry! Don't be too hard on yourself. Its an honest mistake. He was clearly loved and well cared for in his life.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

It's not like you fed him into the pump, so don't beat yourself up over something any twit could have done :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page