Any teachers here? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Any teachers here?

So, I’m kind of irked to say the least right now. My mom just got back from work; she’s an elem teacher.
Right now, the high school has 33 teachers/aids and half of the students that the elem does. The middle school has 20, but still half the kids of the elementary. Right now, the elementary has 27 teachers/aids and over twice as many kids.
And, instead of, say cutting from the sports program or something in the high school, the super intendent wants to fire some of the elementary teachers. No big deal, it’s not like they aren’t on their bare bones or anything.
I know someone might get laid off anyway, whether or not they hold off a year and don’t get the new track, but really? I know this might not seem like much to some, but it really makes me mad. Like, everyone thinks elementary is a joke. My mom gets kids that, at age 8, can’t even spell their own name, and has to get them ready for math and science and everything else.
/rantover
Any thoughts on this? I know I’m pretty biased, so I want to know if I’m getting my feathers ruffled over nothing.

Last edited by marie73; 02-16-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: font size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Cat

I'm a teacher! I live in England, but I completely understand what you mean. I currently teach in two schools, in classes with children aged 3-4 and 6-7, so it's elementary age (but called Infant School over here). It's always the way that they think of 'getting rid' of teachers before anything else, but in the end, after having reduced the number of teachers, the results can be terrible. Class sizes are huge (up to 35 children per class with just one teacher and an Assistant. One of my classes is 28 children with me and no Assistant!) and the children can be very distructive and distracted as they don't get the attention they deserve and NEED to learn. At the end of the day, elementary school is where it all starts - if they don't have solid foundations at this age they may never recover! There's research that shows if a child can't decode (read fluently) by the age of 9, they will never 'catch-up' and be able to read easily. Then the government go and reduce the numbers of teacher's so there's fewer and fewer people to teach such vital skills. The general public then wonder why educational standards fall- I wonder why! Personally, although I'm not yet a Mother, I know I'd certainly rather have my child in smaller classes with Assistants and a Teacher, then have programs for my children to go to.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_NH View Post
People seem to find it more acceptable to let teachers/aides go than cut programs. Also - it's not as easy to let a teacher go (at least in NH) as one might think.
I don't know how it works in Texas but in NH the teacher's union gets involved when any school starts talking laying off teachers. So what ends up happening, since the school has already gotten their year budgets passed with layoffs, they end up laying off staff instead. Lower paid positions.
Last year the school in my town (elementary) was going to lay off one teacher as enrollment was down. Since they did not follow the proper channels for this they had to keep the teacher. So a janitor got laid off instead.
I'm not saying it's right but you know when I was a kid we had one teacher per class and quite often that teacher had 30 kids in her/his classroom. No aides...just the teacher. The teachers up here might have 15 kids in their classroom and they want two or three aides to help them.
In this economy taxpayers are extremely concerned about tomorrow - sadly no one is safe.
I've noticed that. I really don't think its fair. All the workers in the educational system, from the superintendent down to the secretary/aides/etc are underappreciated I think. Or it seems like it. I'm sure there are some great places out there. And its not even a "major" cut to the sports program. The suggestion was to not go to tournaments/scrimmages that were an hour+ away. It's not like they were trying to toss out the sports entirely. :/

I'm pretty sure my mom would feel lucky if she had 15 kids period. This year is a small class, and even then it ends up around 17-20 kids. Not anything terrible, but I think if you have small classes AND several aids you're very, very lucky.

Abbie:

35 kids? Yiiiikes!! I go to a pretty small high school-about 300 enrolled total (if that) so I consider a big class 20 or so. I agree that early education is important. How can you learn to read and write if you don't know the alphabet? How can you learn science if you can't read? How can you learn higher math if 2+2 stumps you? Not to mention social skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page